9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2016 11:41 AM by Andrew Houston-Floyd RSS

Pass field references from text in Excel

Andrew Houston-Floyd

Hi all,

I am currently importing text sentences saved in Excel to display in Qlikview. The idea is to make these sentences dynamic by referencing the current selections. So typically in Qlikview, you would create a text object and write:

=Field1 & ' has performed well this year with a growth rate of ' & Field2

However, my situation is more complicated and I would actually like to import the above as one value from an Excel cell. So based on my selections, I might have three different sentence options within a 'Sentence' field:

and also, ' &Field1& ' has performed well this year with a growth rate of ' &Field2

and also, ' &Field1& ' has performed poorly this year with a growth rate of ' & Field2

and also, ' &Field1& ' has performed very poorly this year with a growth rate of ' & Field2

So in the text object, I would just put

= Sentence

The problem is that when I put these sentences in Excel, Qlikview evaluates it all as a string, so '&Field1&' doesn't break out of the string to evaluate Field1.

Is there a trick to how I load in the data from Excel, or use variables, to get around this problem?

Thanks!