11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2014 3:45 AM by Roger Stone RSS

Hourly Rate for A Qlikview Developer

Does anyone know the average hourly rate i can expect to pay for a Qlikview Developer in US Dollars?

• Hourly Rate for A Qlikview Developer
          John Witherspoon

I'd assume the same as any other developer, so just look some general statistics on computer science professional compensation. I don't think there's anything special about QlikView that would demand higher or lower compensation than similar jobs. It will, of course, vary a lot by region and state.

Oleg Troyansky

The actual numbers are of course confidential, and I wouldn't expect anyone to post their rates here... In general terms, I'd say that QlikView consultants cost more than most other somputer consultants (like ERP, Java, .NET etc...) because of a variety of reasons, one of which is - we do deliver more value with QlikView, than for example a Cognos consultant can deliver with Cognos. Well, at least those consultants that know their stuff do...

In my experience, within QlikView market you truly "get what you paid for". You can find a cheap consultant, and then watch him asking several questions a day on this forum, and begging to give him an example with every answer. Or, you can pay a bit more and get a consultant that is regularly answering questions on this forum. Big difference!

good luck!

Oleg Troyansky

Steve Dark

Hi Oleg,

I completely agree with your comments on quality of consultants.  I have had to rescue some documents that were in quite a state, some build 'in house' by clients, but others that were built by consultants that should know better.

The other big thing dictating the rates in any market is the availability of the resource.  In the UK at least, skilled QlikView resource is a rare commodity.  This means that there is scope for negotiation on rates.

I feel it is important to ensure you are offering real value for money though - else the cost benefits of the tool can be brought down by overpriced consultancy.

Regards,

Steve

Oleg Troyansky wrote:

The actual numbers are of course confidential, and I wouldn't expect anyone to post their rates here... In general terms, I'd say that QlikView consultants cost more than most other somputer consultants (like ERP, Java, .NET etc...) because of a variety of reasons, one of which is - we do deliver more value with QlikView, than for example a Cognos consultant can deliver with Cognos. Well, at least those consultants that know their stuff do...

In my experience, within QlikView market you truly "get what you paid for". You can find a cheap consultant, and then watch him asking several questions a day on this forum, and begging to give him an example with every answer. Or, you can pay a bit more and get a consultant that is regularly answering questions on this forum. Big difference!

good luck!

Oleg Troyansky

... or he can get a senior consultant that has no time to post on forums...

Steve Dark

Hi LuciaN,

I disagree that anyone that is an expert consultant in QlikView would not have time to post to forums such as these.  Even the best of the best will have at some time get some good advice from someone on QlikCommunity.  Taking the time to post responses and solutions is a way of paying back that debt.

Also, the best consultants will be (like myself) keen enthusiasts who whilst they are incredibly busy delivering solutions for clients still enjoy taking the time to contribute to the community.

Back at the beginning of last year there was a marked drop in the number of blog postings etc. on QlikView, just as the product underwent a period of massive growth.  QlikView experts suddenly got very busy - but there are still weekends and late into the evenings......

- Steve

Its a community, The more we help each other to develop solutions without re-inventing the wheel the better and faster update of the product is to the benefit of us all.

Ive certainly posted my share of questions, and posted a couple of solutions. The community Is a great aid to getting up to speed quickly its one of the products major benefits.

Rates are always negotiable based on relevant business experience knowledge of a specific tool is only part of the story.

ColinR

Siz Mahleka

I'm not sure about the US market but in the UK a good site to monitor for rate is;

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contracts/uk/qlikview.do

This may be a proxy to the US market.

• Re: Hourly Rate for A Qlikview Developer

I heard "90-160/hr." These numbers seem high for ordinary Qlikview developers but potentially even the highest rates could occur for experts.