cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Median of non-integer values

Hi Community,

I need to find the median of the Grade Column, which in this case will be 6+. I also have to apply certain filters, prior to  calculate the median. So I am using the expression:

Median
({<
[concat] = {"=rank(Count([concat]))=1"},
[Template]= {"=rank(Count(Template))=1"},
[Date]  ={">=$(=(date(AddMonths(Updated_Date,-12),'MM-DD-YYYY')))"}

>} Grade)

The problem with the above expression is that it doesn't work for non-integers. Is there a way wherein instead of taking Median of Grade, I will take Median of ID associated with the grade and than put the result in variable.

Than I can get the corresponding Grade using that variable.

The 2nd approach I think is to generate the RowNo dynamically in the set analysis and then use it to get the median Grade. But I am not sure how to generate the RowNo dynamically in setanalysis.

Need urgent help on this.

DateTemplateConcatGrade
2011-11-30 00:00:00 General IndustriesNet Sales6
2012-01-31 00:00:00 General IndustriesNet Sales7
2015-03-31 00:00:00 General IndustriesNet Sales6+
2014-03-31 00:00:00General IndustriesNet Sales6+
2015-03-31 00:00:00General IndustriesNet Sales6+
2015-03-31 00:00:00General IndustriesNet Sales6+
2014-08-31 00:00:00Middle Market EBITDA5
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Check this out:

Capture.PNG

Expression:

=Concat({<NewField = {"$(='>' & (Median(NewField) - 0.126) & '<' & (Median(NewField) + 0.126))"}>}[FBI Grade (Fac Own)], ', ')

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Fayez,

Assuming your full list of values reflects the one shown here, why not simply replace any instance of '+' with '.5' - so 6+ is instead 6.5 - and then calculate the median as a number (any number will do, not just integers)? If your data is a little more complicated, you can still use e.g.

if(Right(Grade,1)='+',left(Grade,1)+0.5,if(Right(Grade,1)='-',left(Grade,1)-0.5)) as NumericGrade;

Essentially, if you want to find a median, the most logical way is to convert your data to numbers.

sunny_talwar

Did you get a chance to look at the approach provided here?

Get the middle number or median

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

That approach is working only when the count of grades in the filtered dataset is odd.

In case of Even count it does not work because it calculates the median of 2 values in NEW Field.

sunny_talwar

What do you expect when having even number of observations?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I did some analysis on the approach you mentioned. The issue with it is that when I apply ,Only({<NewField = {"$(=Median(NewField))"}>}[FBI Grade (Fac Own)]), it returns me the median of entire dataset. So for example if I use

Only({<[FBI Financial Statement Date (Fac Own)]  ={">=$(=(date(AddMonths(Updated_Date,-24),'MM-DD-YYYY')))<$(=(date(AddMonths(Updated_Date,-12),'MM-DD-YYYY')))"},
[FBI Template Name (Fac Own)]= {"=rank(Count([FBI Template Name (Fac Own)]))=1"},
[Concat_FBI_FinancialRatio] = {"=rank(Count([Concat_FBI_FinancialRatio]))=1"}, 
NewField = {"$(=Median(NewField))"}>}FBI_Grade)

I don't get correct grades.

I want it to apply median of the filtered data that I get using:

({<[FBI Financial Statement Date (Fac Own)]  ={">=$(=(date(AddMonths(Updated_Date,-24),'MM-DD-YYYY')))<$(=(date(AddMonths(Updated_Date,-12),'MM-DD-YYYY')))"},
[FBI Template Name (Fac Own)]= {"=rank(Count([FBI Template Name (Fac Own)]))=1"},
[Concat_FBI_FinancialRatio] = {"=rank(Count([Concat_FBI_FinancialRatio]))=1"}

So I am filtering my data to some date range, rankings of template and concat field. Once I have this data I want to get the median grade.

And incase of even count I should show middle two grades.

Hope I am able to put is clearly

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I got the other part figured out. Please help me with the even count of grades

sunny_talwar

What would be the median here?

1-,1,1+,2-,2,2+,3-,3,3+,4-

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Considering this as sort order it should be 2,2+

sunny_talwar

Check this out:

Capture.PNG

Expression:

=Concat({<NewField = {"$(='>' & (Median(NewField) - 0.126) & '<' & (Median(NewField) + 0.126))"}>}[FBI Grade (Fac Own)], ', ')