Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QDF Success Stories?

First, a HUGE shout out to Magnus for the considerable effort in creating what is the holy grail (or closest I've ever seen) of a standardized deployment framework.  Nice job, this is by no means a trivial endeavor!

I've implemented numerous client-specific (and simpler) iterations of a tiered Qlik data foundation architecture before.  I've dug into this one and I like what I see.  Personally, I'm on board and am considering proposing this framework with a new Qlik Sense client that I may be engaging with soon...

IMO, one of the biggest hurdles in proposing such a (non-Qlik supported, for obvious reasons) framework is the vetting process a client has in adopting.  The methodology and architecture of this framework sell themselves, but it is the significant codebase that makes the framework very robust that will come into question regardless of the value it presents...

I'm reaching out to see if others' would be willing to share success stories around the framework that can be used as leverage for adoption?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Thanks Benjamin för this great question! I can contribute with two success stories that I use during my framework presentations. As I'm not allowed to use the company names and show the container structure and data sources they only go into a high level.

Best regards

Success Story 1- Municipality

Quick facts

• 20 000 employees, central BI team, EDW in place, Point Solutions – SharePoint, QlikView users since ages

Main Issues

• BI Expensive, Not meeting demands nor speed, No ability to manage Sandboxing, multiple Servers & departments  (Cost, Control, Time to value)
  • QlikView not seen as Enterprise, Low confidence,  No control, No central environment (Control, quality)

Result – After the implementation of Qlik Deployment Framework

• Established Common environment, Foundation based on QDF
  • Qlik strategic, confidence to run projects in parallel using local partners
  • From 1 development stream to 6 – (from 1 to 8 consultants)
  • 36 QV Apps, 1000 unique users deployed in 2 months, Full Control, CIO Dashboard

Success Story 2- Logistic company

Quick facts

• Logistic company with 1500 employees
  • Large data warehouse using SQL and DB2
  • 150+ Source applications and 1000+ user applications
  • 10+ In-house developers and 20+ external consultants/administrators

Main Issues

• Development is spread throughout multiple departments and geographical locations
  • Fragmented platform on several locations
  • Needed more efficient way to handle administration and governance
  • Had limited deployment/promotion process (DTAP) for Qlik

Result – After Implementation of Qlik Deployment Framework

• Platform is centralized and administered from one location.
  • New developers / consultants has training environment and material
  • Security rules are enforced on the whole environment (including development).
  • Important themes and functions are easily shared by all developers.
  • Deployment/promotion process (DTAP) documented and easily managed

Details

• four different QDF environments: Production,Test, Sandbox and Education
  • Sandboxing (Self-Service) and archiving is a part of the standard process.
  • The environments are divided into three main OU’s to mimic their organization
  • Data sources are resided in a separate track divided into two branches DW and DB2, one container per database or data mart
  • Shared resource container is used to store common sub functions and themes

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Thanks Benjamin för this great question! I can contribute with two success stories that I use during my framework presentations. As I'm not allowed to use the company names and show the container structure and data sources they only go into a high level.

Best regards

Success Story 1- Municipality

Quick facts

• 20 000 employees, central BI team, EDW in place, Point Solutions – SharePoint, QlikView users since ages

Main Issues

• BI Expensive, Not meeting demands nor speed, No ability to manage Sandboxing, multiple Servers & departments  (Cost, Control, Time to value)
  • QlikView not seen as Enterprise, Low confidence,  No control, No central environment (Control, quality)

Result – After the implementation of Qlik Deployment Framework

• Established Common environment, Foundation based on QDF
  • Qlik strategic, confidence to run projects in parallel using local partners
  • From 1 development stream to 6 – (from 1 to 8 consultants)
  • 36 QV Apps, 1000 unique users deployed in 2 months, Full Control, CIO Dashboard

Success Story 2- Logistic company

Quick facts

• Logistic company with 1500 employees
  • Large data warehouse using SQL and DB2
  • 150+ Source applications and 1000+ user applications
  • 10+ In-house developers and 20+ external consultants/administrators

Main Issues

• Development is spread throughout multiple departments and geographical locations
  • Fragmented platform on several locations
  • Needed more efficient way to handle administration and governance
  • Had limited deployment/promotion process (DTAP) for Qlik

Result – After Implementation of Qlik Deployment Framework

• Platform is centralized and administered from one location.
  • New developers / consultants has training environment and material
  • Security rules are enforced on the whole environment (including development).
  • Important themes and functions are easily shared by all developers.
  • Deployment/promotion process (DTAP) documented and easily managed

Details

• four different QDF environments: Production,Test, Sandbox and Education
  • Sandboxing (Self-Service) and archiving is a part of the standard process.
  • The environments are divided into three main OU’s to mimic their organization
  • Data sources are resided in a separate track divided into two branches DW and DB2, one container per database or data mart
  • Shared resource container is used to store common sub functions and themes
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply Magnus.  Results speak for themselves.  I look forward to implementing!