4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2017 10:12 PM by Lech Miszkiewicz RSS

NPrinting 17.1.2 Issue - multiple qv.exe processes after a publish task has ended

JULIAN Rodriguez

Hello experts

I'm  testing NPrinting 17.1.2 in order to migrate a current NPrinting 16 enviroment.

But, I have detected some issues so far:

- There are multiple QV.exe processes running on memory, even when the publish task has ended. This is a real problem, because with every task, there are more new QV.exe processes and the available memory is running out, until there is not more. This problem happens with any kind of report (Pixel Perfect, PPT, etc)

- How can I check the progress of a publish task?... how much time took from the beginning to the end?... how can I read the logs?

I will update this post with any new discoveries, but, there is information about this issues that you guys could share with me?

Thanks in advance

Julian

• Re: NPrinting 17.1.2 Issue - multiple qv.exe processes after a publish task has ended
          Ricardo Gerhard

Hi Julian,

Had you solved this situation? We have the same issue. I guess it´s a default situation and going to open a case to Qlik to be able understand this situation.

• Re: NPrinting 17.1.2 Issue - multiple qv.exe processes after a publish task has ended
              JULIAN Rodriguez

Hello Ricardo

Unfortunately, we didn't have any possitive answer. This is the transcription of a cuestionarie send to Qlik Support, and honestly I'm not happy with the answers:

"

Hi Julian,

In the documentation, is it recommended that NPrinting had a dedicated server for this reason.

"This behavior imply that my server, on the time, suddenly will lack of any available RAM? If I add more qvw files as datasources, and I add more reports to NPrinting, the current server will be not enough?

--Yes, NPrinting will continue to open qv.exe instances for each core available on the server and each instance will consume RAM while open.

Even if this reports are not on execution at the same time? or its execution is generated monthly, weekly, etc?

--When the core limit is reached, it will then start to re-cycle the active sessions.

How does work the NPrinting memory deallocation?"

--This information has been provided from R&D

While the name is NPrinting 17, this is basically a 1.0 product with a complete new architecture and design so a lot of these questions have not been answered yet being such a new product."

We have decided to try using QlikView Server as datasource, instead of the local qvw file, because QVS may be has a better RAM comsumption control. May be this could be a workaround for this.

We are testing NPrinting 17.2 and so far, the behavior is the same as 17.1.

I hope you have better news, and can share it with us.

Best regards

Julian

Lech Miszkiewicz

The upcoming release is addressing open QV.exe session "issue".

On the other hand i do not think it is a issue if:

• you use QVP connection - Local connection will use a LOTmore RAM (and i am talking 1000% more!!!) per document, where server connection will levarage QVS service, RAM management, Cacheing etc - so this is critical to understand and it was a case also with NPrinting 16! Ths was always a case with QlikView (not only with NPrinting - so it is really don to understanding how QlikView Desktop vs QlikVIew server works and in this case you want QlikView server solution in use)
                • open QV.exe with QVP connection will not use much resources as it behaves like just another concurent server user
              • setup NPrinting on different box than QV. NPrinting will use up all available resources when generating reports so this is main reson wy it should not be installed on QV box
              • understanding how to prepare QV document to work with NPrinting is another important thing. If you just blindly take any available qvw file it will use a lot more resources than a document preped for NPrinting usage (stripped down to all required by NPrinting fields, objects, variables etc.

cheers

Lech