15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2017 11:42 PM by Lech Miszkiewicz RSS

NPrinting Server Connection Stuck On "Generating"

Ann Weiner

I am having a problem with the On Demand printing feature in NPrinting 17.2.

I upgraded to Qlikview 11.20 SR 15 and NPrint 17.2. I also installed the On Demand feature. Everything seems to have installed correctly (no errors on installation). I ensured that the Nprint service account is assigned to the appropriate groups on the server (Qlikview Administrators and Qlikview Management API). I also set the On Demand trusted server setting.

For setting up the connection, I am following the on demand configuration instructions by setting the connection as a server connection (as opposed to a local connection). After creating the connection, it is stuck in the "Generating" status and never finishes. I am able to generate cache using local connections on the same documents (although somewhat slower to generate than in 17.1).

I did try to create an on demand report using an existing local connection, but the on demand button doesn't surface on AccessPoint.

Questions: To use the On Demand feature, must I use a server connection to the qvw? And if that is the case, what could be causing the cache to never finish generating?

• Re: NPrinting Server Connection Stuck On "Generating"
          Dinesh Singh

Hi Ann Weiner,

Please make sure your engine is showing online status in Main Menu > Admin > Engine Manager window. Also, try to restarting NPrinting Services of server/engine. For On-Demand Printing feature, please go thru following links:

QlikView NPrinting On Demand - Qlik NPrinting - YouTube

On-Demand reports ‒ Qlik NPrinting

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Dinesh

Paul Johansson

I managed to create a data connection 3 days ago using 17.2 to local files and files that are published into the Server.

Today when I need to reload the meta data, it gets stuck at "generating" for all these connections.

Restarting services does not help, the log file says:

"Reload metadata task 3b19040f-b086-4cfc-9345-2b5b66335e01 sent to queue"

br

Paul

Timo Komppa

Hello.

Same issue here. I tried to restart engine status and also I restarted NPrinting Sevices but problem not solved.

Regards

Timo

Gianluca Perin

Hi Ann,

try this:

1. Stop NPrinting Engine service.
                2. Make sure that the NPrinting Engine process is not running from the Windows task manager
                3. Make sure that all the qvw.exe are not running from the Windows task manager
                4. Stop NPrinting Scheduler service
                5. Make sure that the NPrinting Scheduler process Is no more running from the Windows task manager
                6. Stop NPrinting Messaging service (or RabbitMQ service depending on the NPrinting version that you're using)
                7. Start NPrinting Scheduler service
                8. Start NPrinting Messaging service (or RabbitMQ)
                9. Start NPrinting Engine service
                10. Wait for the Engine to came back online
                11. Reload the cache

Let me know if this works.

Best

Timo Komppa

Hey Gianluca!

For me that works. We did reboot to our server but that didn't work. I found that Nprint Scheduler prosess was stucked. After killing that process and after restarting Nprinting Scheluder service Nprint works again.

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Timo

Ann Weiner

Yes, I go through the steps of stopping all of the services when ever we have cache generating issues. The problem is that this issue seems intermittent, and is a rather disruptive way to recover. Wish there were more transparency in the administration of NPrint, so that we can see exactly where the failure is and correct it, rather than having to restart everything. My guess is that will be in a future release of Nprinting.

Luiz DePaula

Hello Gianluca,

I am having the same issue and I followed your steps to stopping the services. The NPrinting Scheduler service was stuck and I had to stop it from the Windows Task Manager. It stopped. However, the Cache Status is still stuck on Generating.

We tried to reboot the server and still does not work. Do you think I will have to recreate another connection?

Thanks,

LD

Luiz DePaula

Just FYI.

When stopping the services, the NPrinting Scheduler service has to be the first one to be started, however, if you don't start the other two services right away, Messaging service and Engine service, the Scheduler will stop, and will not fix the issue.

The process definitely works, just keep in mind that when restarting the services, start one after the other quickly, as soon as it says Running.

Thanks,

LD

Kevin Pinto

Hi Gianluca, gpr

I have created this batch file to mirror your suggested order for NPrinting service shutdown and startup.  Can you please look at it and offer any feedback?

net stop "Qlik NPrinting Engine"

net stop "Qlik NPrinting Scheduler"

net stop "QlikNPrintingMessagingService"

net stop "Qlik NPrinting Web Engine"

net stop "QlikNPrintingRepoService"

echo Waiting for 30 seconds

timeout /t 30

net start "Qlik NPrinting Scheduler"

net start "QlikNPrintingMessagingService"

net start "QlikNPrintingRepoService"

net start "Qlik NPrinting Engine"

net start "Qlik NPrinting Web Engine"

Kevin Pinto

Bah, for some reason, I cannot edit my own post.  I tweaked the order a little and here it is:

timeout /t 30

This seems to work without any error or warning messages.

Gianluca Perin

Hi Kevin,

the first part is fine.

For the second one I would say:

net start "QlikNPrintingRepoService" (Database)

net start "QlikNPrintingMessagingService" (Queuing system that carries messages from scheduler to engine)

Best

Kevin Pinto

Great.  I tried out the changes and they seem to work fine.

For those interested, place the following lines into a .cmd or .bat file:

timeout /t 30

Lech Miszkiewicz

First thing is:

OnDemand functionality is supported only with server connection!

note from help documentation:

You must have connections to your QlikView Server.

QlikView Server and QlikView Cluster connections are supported with On-Demand. Local connections are unsupported for On-Demand. See Creating connections .

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/On-Demand/Install-Components.htm

To create server (qvp) connection you must ensure that NPrinting service account user is:

• local administrator on QlikView server
                                  • QlikView administrator on QlikView server
                                  • Is a dedicated NPrinting account and it is not used by any other service

I have gone step by step with everything here:

How to connect Qlik N printing 17.4 to Qlik View server

now regarding to your problem.

As you are on older NPrinting version i would suggest to upgrade to nPrinting June 2017. In your current setup you may have stale generate metadata task which is never ending.

If you do not want to upgrade, delete this stale connection, restart NPrinting server and start over using all steps provided in link.

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.