4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2016 5:17 PM by Michael Tarallo RSS

Does Qlik work with Google Bigquery?

Eric Hendershott

I am trying to determine if Qlik can connect to Google Bigquery.

Thanks,

Eric Hendershott

• Re: Does Qlik work with Google Bigquery?
          Michael Tarallo

Hello Eric - yes it can, using our Qlik Web Connectors.

These can be used for both Qlik Sense and QlikView.

The Qlik Web Connectors software starts a listener that runs a console. At the console it allows you to sample the connection data, (free and licensed) and basically writes the connection script for you that you would include in the data load editor of the QlikView document or Qlik Sense app. It is basically cut and paste.

Here is the console - with the licensed and free connectors

After selecting the licenses Google BigQuery Connector - I can authenticate with my Google account and get a token to authenticate the software. Then I can select operations to retrieve my projects, data sets, tables, schemas etc.

Then I can select the Query Operation and enter in for example:

SELECT Year, Country FROM qvTest.sales

LIMIT 10;

I can then copy the script that it generated into the product data load editor - Qlik Sense or QlikView.

Qlik Sense example:

NOTE: - IN order to do this for Qlik Sense - you must disable standard mode in Qlik Sense Desktop or in Qlik Sense Server:

Server: Got to Qlik Management Console (QMC)->Engine-> Central -> Advanced properties, uncheck Standard mode -> restart Windows Qlik Engine service

For Desktop:

Edit the settings.ini file:

Change StandardReload from 0 to 1

So it looks like this: StandardReload=0

It is documented here: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Subsystems/Hub/Content/LoadData/disable-standard-mode.htm

You can take a look at them here:

http://market.qlik.com/qvsource-the-qlikview-api-connector.html

You would download the .zip file, extract to a dir, execute the QlikWebConnectors.exe:

Open the URL in a browser: http://localhost:5555/web

You should see a list of connectors - some may require a license - Qlik Google BigQuery - is a premium licensed connector.

The Standard Connectors are free.

Once you authenticate with the token - you can select a number of operations to obtain your project ID, datsets and tables.

Help is here: Home ‒ Qlik Connectors

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Eric Hendershott

Thanks for the information.

However, now I have an additional question based on your response.

Our company wants to evaluate Qlik View, and how it works with Bigquery.

However, based on your response, we need to pay for the connector license

to even try it with Bigquery.

Is there a way to evaluate Qlick View with the Bigquery connector before we

buy the licence?  Our company has tried several tools like yours, and every

one has had limitations that will not work with our reporting requirements.

Please let me know if there is a way to evaluate Qlik View with Bigquery

without buying the license first.

Thanks,

Eric Hendershott

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Michael Tarallo <qcwebmaster@qlikview.com>

Michael Tarallo

Hi Eric - yes - I will inform the correct people and they will get with you - I believe they may be able to set up some sort of trial for you but I am not exactly sure.

If you do not hear anything by mid next week - please let me know.

You can also contact our Qonciereg service at:Qoncierge@qlik.com to follow-up.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solition. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Michael Tarallo

Hi Eric - great news, I have heard that someone should be in touch with you soon. So please let me know how it goes.

Mike