Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlikivew Bar chart/ Table: Re-do rate calculation

Hello,

Suppose my raw data looks like the table below - It shows whether a student passed or failed a test with test date information. The students may re-try and take the test again or multiple times if failed in the first try. (The real data set is slightly big (millions rows) but similar to this example table).

I am trying to create a bar chart (or a table) to show the following metrics:

1. Failure rate (in the first try) - How many students failed the test in the first try per month? (Jan: 3/4 = 75%    Feb: 0/1 = 0%    March: 1/2 = 50%)
  2. Of all the students who failed in the first try, how many of them tried to take the test again? (Jan: 3/3 = 100%  Feb: N/A   March: 0/1 = 0%)
  3. Of all the students who retried the test, how many of them are passed(as the final result)? (Jan: 1/3 = 33%  Feb: N/A  March: N/A)

Note: In the calculation, the date is based on first test date for each student.

ID

Test_Date

Student Name

Result

1/2/2016

Bob S.

FAILED

1/2/2016

Samantha

FAILED

1/2/2016

J.J

PASS

1/13/2016

Samantha

FAILED

1/15/2016

Ruby

FAILED

1/20/2016

Bob S.

FAILED

2/12/2016

Ruby

PASS

2/12/2016

Emma

PASS

3/1/2016

L

FAILED

3/15/2016

Amy

PASS

Any suggestions? Is there any way I can create the charts/tables without creating an extra data table?

Thank you,

Yolanda

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It appears to me that you calculated #3 incorrectly for January. Only two students retried the test in January, and neither of them passed, so 0% sounds correct based on your wording. Based on the number, you may have meant "students who passed the test on any attempt". Would a student who passed ever retake the test? If so, what happens if they retake and fail? Or would the pattern always be either all fails, or all fails ending with a single pass?

Anyway, attached are a couple ideas, one with new fields but no new tables, one that doesn't require new fields. Probably neither is exactly what you want, but they produce the right results on your very simple data.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It appears to me that you calculated #3 incorrectly for January. Only two students retried the test in January, and neither of them passed, so 0% sounds correct based on your wording. Based on the number, you may have meant "students who passed the test on any attempt". Would a student who passed ever retake the test? If so, what happens if they retake and fail? Or would the pattern always be either all fails, or all fails ending with a single pass?

Anyway, attached are a couple ideas, one with new fields but no new tables, one that doesn't require new fields. Probably neither is exactly what you want, but they produce the right results on your very simple data.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi John,

Thank you very much! The examples you provided are very helpful. I took one of your ideas (the one with new fields) and modified it a little bit to meet my specific needs here, then everything worked out.

Thanks,

Yolanda