Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Trigger a task based on some database value

Hi all,

I am just wondering if there is way to have qliview watch data for changes and then trigger a task when the data does change. For example I am interested only in running some qvd generators when a value max(extract_datetime) in my database changes. Is there any efficient way to achieve this??

Thanks,

J

7 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Julia,

If you go to QEMC --> System --> Supporting Tasks --> Database Command, you can define a query there. You can then trigger a task off this Database Command. That's probably the place to start; the tricky part is writing the query in such a way as to make the task wait until the query returns positive...or you could run the query every X minutes until it does.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Looks like this could be a possibility. One thing I am feeling very frustrated with regards to qlik is documentation....is there a reference manual for the publisher anywhere??? I wonder if it would cover how to use this database command.

Thanks!

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Yes, here is a link to the reference manual: http://d1cf4w4kkla6tb.cloudfront.net/documentation/9.00/latest/Qvs/Qvs%20Reference%20Manual.pdf. Unfortunately the database commands are not documented. That's because you can use any valid DB syntax as long as your connection string is good.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Is it possible to do something to a task like

If (select val from table) returns some value then

Task successful

Else

Task failed

because if the database query is syntactically correct qlikview treats it as success even if no rows are returned

any replies will be highly appreciated

regards,

sabarish

Not applicable
Author

hi, can you please let me know what value should we enter in the "Connection string:" ? can you pls provide some ex.

I am not able to find any info on the web or qlik site.

rospigliosi
Creator
Creator

I got the same problem.. this does not work:

Nuova immagine.bmp

Any suggestions?

rospigliosi
Creator
Creator

At the end I used the combination of java scheduler, some java code to check and update a table on the db, Cron4J and EDX with qlikview tasks that are in witing status on the server.