1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 2, 2017 4:05 PM by Clint Carr RSS

Limit Server Resources for Self-Service Users?

Thomas Karner

Hi,

our key users are using Qlik Sense (3.1) for self-service analysis.

Some users have access to predefined SQL connections with tables containing multi-millions of records.

If somehone isn´t well experienced with Sense, it could happen that he joins such 2 tables wich are not matching and creates a carthesian-product, resulting in billions of records and more.

This could cause a server crash or extremely low performance.

The requirement discussed now is to assign a limit to certain users.

This could be e.g.

- a max. size of own apps in RAM

- a max. number or records and/or

- a max. disk space in GB

Is such a scenario possible to ensure stability of the server for other users and to limit resources for special users?

BR T

• Re: Limit Server Resources for Self-Service Users?
          Clint Carr

Hi Thomas,

Great question, this is how I typically solve this scenario.

1. Ensure development is separated from Governed Self Service,  I see the scenario you're describing as separate to governed self service, the users are not using pre-created models, instead they are creating new models (potentially with some mistakes).  These users can be provided with a sandpit server, any development performed on this sandpit is effectively ungoverned.  In order to ensure users are not impacted by development activities I prefer to isolate development activities to different engines.

Qlik Sense Enterprise has a number of configuration options allowing for queries of certain sizes to be restricted, however this is an engine wide config and not available per user.

Clint