5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2016 2:22 PM by Richard Judkins RSS

Exclude when column is blank

Richard Judkins

Hey all

I have no doubt this is very simple, but...

I'm trying to modify a pretty complex, existing QlikSense app, but have only been working with QlikSense for 3 weeks.

Basically, an extremely large table with a large number of columns and rows.

Part of the SQL is (this has been highly abridged, but to give you an idea):

SELECT

,[CLIENT_ID]

,[PROD_NAME]

,[PROD_LN_NAME]

,case when year(CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103))=2016 then CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103)

when year(CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103))=2015 then DATEADD (dd , 364 , CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103) )

when year(CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103))=2014 then DATEADD (dd , 728 , CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103) )

END AS REFERENCE_DATE

,CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103) as [TRANS_DATE]

,[TRANS_DATE_EQUAL_REG_DATE]

,[PROD_GROUP]

,SALE_ASSET_VERSION

,PRIMARY_AGREE_ITEM_FLG

,case when PROD_GROUP like '%Widget%' then 'Blue Widget'

when PROD_GROUP = 'Flapjacks' then 'Pancakes'

else PROD_GROUP end as PROD_CATEGORY

case when [LEGAL_ENTITY] like '%AA%' then 'AB' else 'AC' end as Country

,CASE WHEN PROD_LN_NAME = 'Squids' THEN 'Squids' ELSE

CASE WHEN CATEGORY = 'Playing' OR CATEGORY = 'Sleeping' THEN ‘Breathing' ELSE

'Dead' END

END AS REFERRAL_TYPE

What I want to do is for it to ignore any rows where the CLIENT_ID is blank.

I've tried WHERE [CLIENT_ID] <> NULL, and WHERE [CLIENT_ID] IS NOT NULL, etc etc, but because of the multitude of existing CASE and JOIN statements etc I can neither the right place to enter it or the right syntax to use.

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Re: Exclude when column is blank
          Arnaldo Sandoval

Hi Richard,

It could be that CLIENT_ID is never null at all, perhaps it contains spaces or its length is zero, I will suggest to filter the data as follow:

WHERE [CLIENT_ID] IS NOT NULL AND LEN( TRIM ( [CLIENT_ID] ) ) > 0

The expression LEN( TRIM ( [CLIENT_ID] ) ) returns a positive value when [CLIENT_ID] is not null and contains some information, the TRIM() function removed leading and trailing spaces, and LEN() returns the length of whatever is left.

Hope this helps,

Richard Judkins

Thanks for the prompt reply, Arnaldo!

My apologies, I should have been more specific.

It's not that it's not working insofar that it's still pulling through blanks records - it's actually failing to execute at all, wherever and however I try to enter the script.

I get the red "error" message - either "incorrect syntax near WHERE" or "incorrect syntax near ','" or near "FROM" or near anything at all.

Arnaldo Sandoval

Richard,

If that is the case, then you have a syntax error in your select statement, difficult to find as the previous developer did not indent the query, I applied some indentation, and you will notice where the code is missing a comma.

SELECT

, [CLIENT_ID]

, [PROD_NAME]

, [PROD_LN_NAME]

, CASE

WHEN YEAR(CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103))=2016 THEN CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103)

WHEN YEAR(CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103))=2015 THEN DATEADD (dd , 364 , CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103) )

WHEN YEAR(CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103))=2014 THEN DATEADD (dd , 728 , CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103) )

END                                              AS REFERENCE_DATE

, CONVERT(DATE,TRANS_DATE,103)                     AS [TRANS_DATE]

, [TRANS_DATE_EQUAL_REG_DATE]

, [PROD_GROUP]

, SALE_ASSET_VERSION

, PRIMARY_AGREE_ITEM_FLG

, CASE

WHEN PROD_GROUP LIKE '%Widget%' THEN 'Blue Widget'

WHEN PROD_GROUP = 'Flapjacks'  THEN 'Pancakes'

ELSE PROD_GROUP

END                                              AS PROD_CATEGORY

CASE /* you are missing a comma on this case statement */

WHEN [LEGAL_ENTITY] LIKE '%AA%' THEN 'AB'

ELSE 'AC'

END                                              AS Country

, CASE

WHEN PROD_LN_NAME = 'Squids' THEN 'Squids'

ELSE

CASE

WHEN CATEGORY = 'Playing' OR CATEGORY = 'Sleeping' THEN ‘Breathing'

ELSE 'Dead'

END

END                                              AS REFERRAL_TYPE

You are missing a comma at your third CASE or it went missing when you copy and pasted you query.

hth