Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Error Log

Is There an error log on the server? If it exists, how can I access it?

11 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

There are several logs you can set up. In regards to the server, go to the Enterprise Management Console, System, Setup, QlikView Servers, select your server and on the right pane, go to "Logging". There you have the default path to the files, you can change as needed.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply,

Only this 3 types of logging are available

Enable session logging
Enable performance logging every minutes
Enable event logging

But there is no information about error log

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Errors as such are stored in the Event logging, so they will be reflected in the Event Viewer of Windows (startup, run, eventvwr.msc).

Anyway, when something goes wrong you will need to check all three logs. Have you checked them? Is thre any additional info you are looking for and you don't find on these logfiles?

Besides, you can check in your Settings menu, Document Properties, "Generate Logfiles" that will be stored by default in the same folder where the application is, and it will store the reload process step by step.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks,

My aim to get the error log is;

To measure the performance of the report, if report produces more errors than the designer of the report will be responsible of that errors.

Our performance will be measured by our report we designed. So I try to find the types and the number of errors.

Do I check all that 3 logs to find the number of errors?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

I may be missing something here. When an "error" happens, its causes may vary widely. It may be because of the operating system, hardware, the script, the data source is not returning values, a user is not logging in correctly...

Even when all the above is working fine, some objects may be too heavy to be calculated and it can cause (unlikely) the application to crash or the object not to be displayed.

So, trying to clarify, what kind of errors are you looking for?

Not applicable
Author

If customers are facing error when they are using a report, that error should be noted as a fault of the programmer in my firm.

If you know about analysis services and reporting services, all errors are added to the log i think. I want to get all errors, but filter them if they are not coused by the programmer.

I dont know whether I could explain my need, but i dont think so 🙂

Not applicable
Author

Example : Memory exceed errors, Script reload errors, expression calculation errors bla bla..

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

As far as I understand, I don't know how those logs may help you to control that. Apart from those (document reload and server performance), I haven't heard of any other logs that register all activity once the document is opened. Error messages are displayed on screen, but that seems to me impossible to log.

As I told before, a document can fail because of many factors, and I wouldn't dare to say this or that document has a bad datamodel or is not using correct expressions further than syntax errors and mispellings, or say my own views on the subject.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much for your help and for sharing your ideas.

I understand what you mean. But I think can not convince my managers, that errors can not measure the performance of me 🙂