26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2017 3:19 PM by Dillon Mullis RSS

Qlik Sense crashes in Load Editor

Steve Holmes

My data load runs well and my application works.

However, if I try to edit the data load the editor screen blanks, and closing this app closes Qlik Sense.

I'm using Qlik Sense Desktop 3.1

I've tried re-loading Qlik Sense - repair - without success.

Suggestions welcome.

• Re: Qlik Sense crashes in Load Editor
          MARCO HADIYANTO

Hi Steve,

Try to duplicate your file (qvf) and try it again.

Regards

Steve Holmes

Good idea, thanks Marco.

Following another post I've uninstalled Qlik Sense, and checked for entries in the PC Registry.

Now I've reinstalled as administrator, and I'll see if there's an improvement.

Thank you for your response.

OK: reinstalling didn't help.

I've duplicated the app, and opened the replacement.  In data load editor I can click the "Load data" button, and the data loads without difficulty - no peculiarities at all.  But then if I click in the load script - or even just leave the load script sheet open - the page changes to a blank white screen.  The desktop hub does, too.

Steve

Lakshmikandh Karthikeyan

instead of accessing the Desktop application , try working with qliksense using "localhost:4848/hub" in the browser

MARCO HADIYANTO

Hi Steve,

I got confused what do you mean load script? because you can open data load editor and you can load data.

can you share screenshot of your steps?

Thanks

Marco

Steve Holmes

Thanks, Lakshmikandh; I'll give that a try.

Thanks, Ryan; I can't keep the load script open long enough to work on it!

Thanks, Marco;

Here are the steps:

1. Open the application,
                        2. Select an app - usually the one I particularly need to change - and click its icon
                        3. Select "Data load editor".
                        4. The editor opens:
                        5. Note that from here I can click "Load data", and the data load runs perfectly.
                        6. I want to edit "Table load".  (I've done this many times successfully.  So: click "Table load".
                        7. Table load usually opens, though sometimes only the first  5 or 10 lines of code show at first.
                        8. Now I either pause to gather my thoughts, or click the screen, or scroll down.  After about 10 seconds I get this (Note that I had to add a border to this image - because that's all there is!):
                        9. If I click the X to close this app then Qlik Sense closes.

Thanks for any help - I'd like to get some work done, and this is preventing any progress!

Steve

Adding to this:

A colleague has Qlik Sense Desktop V3.0 SR2.  On her PC I can open my apps and edit them at will.

My PC has Qlik Sense V3.1 SP3, and while I can open and view the application, and make changes to the visualisations if necessary, I can't edit the data load (as above).

In both cases we are using exactly the same app, dragged and dropped from a network location.

So: the variables appear to be

1. The specific PC being used, and
                        2. The version of Qlik Sense Desktop.

Her PC is slightly newer than mine, but they both use the same OS (Windows 7), antivirus and so on, and are maintained by our facility's IT department under strict control.

Ryan Thomas

Have you tried create new apps and copy the script into new apps?

worth to try i think

Michael Tarallo

Hi Guys - can you try the latest SR 3. Let me know. - if it still occurs I will raise this with the products team.

Customers and partner can get it from our download site - or you can get Desktop here:Download Free Data Visualization Development Platform

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is usel to otheegards,

Mike Tarallo (@mtarallo) | https://twitter.com/mtarallo

Qlik

Sergio Micaelo

Hi,

I have the same problem, the screen "freezes" and then after about 5-10 seconds stop to respond.

Tried repair, reinstall but the outcoming result is always the same.

The problem is exacly the same in the server and in the desktop.

Does the support already solved it?

Sérgio Micaelo

Steve Holmes

?Sorry, Sergoio - I'm on leave for two weeks - I have only just read your mail.

BUT: no, there is no progress on this.  Support has not yet solved the problem.  Believe me, I am (with apologies) happy that you have the same problem.  If there are two of us, then the problem is not with my personal PC!

Best wishes,

Steve

Dillon Mullis

Hi Steve,

Can you please try running your version of Qlik Sense Desktop in legacy mode?  I believe this may be the culprit behind the script failing to load. 

In Qlik Sense Desktop, you can set standard/legacy mode in Settings.ini.

Do the following:

1. Open C:\Users\{user}\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Settings.ini in a text editor.
                            2. Change StandardReload=1 to StandardReload=0.
                            3. Save the file and start Qlik Sense Desktop, which will run in legacy mode.

The available settings for StandardReload are:

• 1 (standard mode)
                            • 0 (legacy mode)

Once this is complete, attempt to edit the data load again.  I believe it should now complete successfully.

Regards,

Dillon Mullis

Alfredo Ruben Pereda Ibañez

Hi Steve,

It works with Mozilla Firefox 50.1.0 without problems.

Dillon Mullis

Hello Steve,

My apologies on the delay responding here, and I am sorry to hear that loading in legacy mode did not correct the issue.  I have done some more testing regarding this and am unable to reproduce the issue consistently.  May I ask the size of the application, as well as the specs of the machine loading on?  In order for me to recreate this, it seems that I have to max out the RAM utilization in my lab.  Can you verify this is not the case? 

Regards,

Dillon Mullis

Steve Holmes

Thanks, Dillon,

I'm not sure how best to answer this, but let's see.

I'm running a set of (at the moment) seven visualisation sets.  The largest is 56,306KB, and the smallest is 9,174KB.

(These are New Zealand public health care datasets, each analysing a small geographical region.  A data load imports about 20 files (usually Excel tables) including a kml mapping file which is one of either 19Mb or 6Mb, depending on the geographical region.)

Data load takes less than a minute, even for the largest file.

PC specifications:

Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 3.30 GHz

Installed memory: 8.00 GB

64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Does that answer the question?

Again, thank you for your help!

Dillon Mullis

Hi Steve,

That should be fine for the loads you are doing.  Based on the information supplied, is it safe to assume there are lookup functions within the script?  There is a current issue where the lookup functions can cause some issues with loads.  In order to determine if this is possibly the cause, attempt to reload the data that works the first time, several times in a row.  I would like to determine if the table load is the actual issue, or if it is something else within the script.  Thanks!

Regards,

Dillon Mullis

Steve Holmes

Hi, Dillon,

Yesterday I cleaned up my PC as best I could, removed every trace of Qlik that I could find, then installed a newly-downloaded version (now SP4).  I had an idea that perhaps the fault is with my PC or installation, and that I’d be able to say “Oops, sorry…”.  That didn’t happen; there was no change.

I have loaded the data six times in a row.  The first took 44 seconds, and the last took 33 seconds.  (Looking at the size of the Excel files, the speed never fails to amaze me!) There are no error warnings with the data load, and the Data Model Viewer is “clean”.  I’ve made all of my links within the Excel sources; there are no Synthetic Keys and no circular references.

I’m not sure what lookup functions are!  Looking at Qlik Community feedback, I’d say my work is quite simple, compared with some of the stuff that’s going on elsewhere.

I just loaded an early app, created about 18 months ago, and had no problem with data load editor.  I could open it and edit it without any problem.  That suggests that there’s a problem with my later app rather than the installation or my PC.

I’ve also found an earlier version of the current app set, and I can open its Load Editor, too.  This one, though, has reminded me: when I first installed version 3.1 the load editor seemed to load – and then complain about – spurious commas that hadn’t been in the script before.  Here’s a snip from that unedited script:

(You can tell that my coding is naïve!)

The comma after ‘Other’ wouldn’t have loaded in the earlier (version 3.0) application – the app simply wouldn’t have loaded – but it turned up here, and I had to remove it.

Is there a way to retrieve the script from my later application?  It looks as though the problem lies there, doesn’t it?

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Steve Holmes

Hi, Dillon,

I believe we've settled this problem!

In my data load I had a long series of (quite straightforward) "if" statements applied to an Excel table.  These were along the lines of

if(

[Element] = '40402' or

[Element] = '40403' or

[Element] = '40404' or

[Element] = '40405' or

[Element] = '40407' or

[Element] = '40410' or ...

(and so on for 40 or so elements)

[Element] = '61013',

'Primary',

and other, similar stuff until

as [Rate],

I have now found the Debug button, which has allowed me to open my data load screen.  I realised that I was asking Qlik to update what was in effect a static (lookup) Excel table on the fly by creating a new column in the load.  I deleted that section of code, and the load worked.  (Then, as I should have done in the first place, I updated the Excel table with the lookup values and simply asked Qlik to import the field.)

Unfortunately, when I first set up this import there had been no problem with the load; I applied it to another six apps.  I now have to fix them - though now I know where the fault is, I can do that quite quickly.

Sorry to waste your time!

Regards,

Steve

Dillon Mullis

Hi Steve,

My apologies for the delayed response on this.  I was under the weather a bit last week. I am glad to hear that you found the issue with the "if" statements.  I assume by now you have corrected the other applications, but I believe commenting out the if statements would have resolved the issue as well.  I wonder if several of the other users that have reported the problem here are using the "if" statements in a similar environment.  I really appreciate your detailed explanation, as it will benefit greatly in troubleshooting this behavior in the future.

Respectfully,

Dillon