Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barnaby
Contributor II
Contributor II

Migrating a large QlikView 11 installation to Qlik Sense

G'day All,

I just read the notice for the end of support for QlikView 11 and they suggest to migrate to Qlik Sense.

(Important: End of Life for QlikView 11 - 08 December 2017)

I have not, as yet, been able to find any documentation on how to migrate a large installation from QlikView to Qlik Sense. Currently, we are running three QV11 servers - one for Test and two for Production in two different countries. On these servers are over 77 QV Apps that are accessible to around 500 users in about 26 countries. In the past, when we upgraded from QV7 to QV9 and later from QV9 to QV11, we stoond up three new servers, installed the new version of QV Server, copied over the licences, copied over the Apps and then set up the Publisher jobs. The actual cut-over is quite short and the users are not even aware of the change.

How would this be done when migrating to Qlik Sense? Would we need to have both QlikView and Qlik Sense servers running for the entire time that it takes to rewrite 77 Apps in Qlik Sense, or can a single server serve up both QlikView and Qlik Sense reports? (I remember reading that the QV 12 engine is compatible with the Qlik Sense engine).

I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully made this change on a large scale or if there is a recommended path for this migration.

Thanks,

Barnaby.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps a migration to QV12.x is a better path. Qlikview will not be retired for a long time. So there is no pressing need to migrate to Qlik Sense.

You can't migrate the user interface part of Qlikview workbooks to Qlik Sense. You can reuse the data models and with minor modifications reuse the load scripts. You could even use the qlikview workbooks as a data layer and binary load them in Qlik Sense apps. But all the charts and tables will have to be remade. You can't import those.

It is now possible to access Qlikview workbooks from a Qlik Sense hub (the so called unified hub), but this still needs a Qlikview server in the background that actually hosts the Qlikview workbooks

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps a migration to QV12.x is a better path. Qlikview will not be retired for a long time. So there is no pressing need to migrate to Qlik Sense.

You can't migrate the user interface part of Qlikview workbooks to Qlik Sense. You can reuse the data models and with minor modifications reuse the load scripts. You could even use the qlikview workbooks as a data layer and binary load them in Qlik Sense apps. But all the charts and tables will have to be remade. You can't import those.

It is now possible to access Qlikview workbooks from a Qlik Sense hub (the so called unified hub), but this still needs a Qlikview server in the background that actually hosts the Qlikview workbooks

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
barnaby
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for your response Gysbert, I thought this might be the case. I think it's something that Qlik will need to look at before too long. Cheers, Barnaby.