Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense Desktop VPN Havoc

How do I get Qlik Sense Desktop to work with a VPN?

I have a Windows 10 machine and recently upgraded from Qlik Sense Desktop version 3.1 to version 3.1-SR4. After the upgrade Qlik Sense Desktop stopped working! By that I mean, the Qlik Sense Desktop Hub doesn't load and the Qlik Bubbles don't appear at startup. All that appears is a blank white window. Hitting F5 results in this message appearing:

{"type":"error","severity":"WARNING","message":"The service did not respond or could not process the request"}

The problem is with my VPN. I am in China so a VPN is required to work through the Great Firewall. In the past I would see this same problem if my VPN was OFF - Qlik Sense only worked when the VPN was ON. That was fine with me so I ignored the problem.

But after the upgrade I now have the opposite problem. If I turn the VPN OFF then Qlik Sense suddenly starts to work - the Qlik Bubbles reappear and the Qlik Sense Desktop Hub loads. But with the VPN now OFF all my other apps stop working, so this is not really a viable solution.

In addition, with the VPN now OFF my Sankey extension stops working and I get this message:

Invalid Visualization - The visualization was not found on the server: SenseSankey

I suspect this is a problem related to the Sankey extension needing to access d3 Javascript on a remote website. But this Sankey extension problem may be unrelated to the VPN.

I've tried researching the Qlik Community and there are a number of mobile VPN and server VPN problems but nothing clearly related to Qlik Sense Desktop. I'm stuck. What do I do?

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

BUMP! Hi Folks - welcome back from the New Year holidays! Any thoughts on this question? How would I get started with debugging a Qlik-VPN problem?

CarmenReilly
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Ted - Just letting you know I've reached out to a few people at Qlik, to hopefully help get this sorted out