1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 16, 2017 6:07 PM by Michael Tarallo RSS

Connecting to Redshift database from Qlik Sense Cloud

Dylan Herman

I am attempting to connect to a Redshift database through the "Qlik ODBC Connector Package" from the Data Load Editor. When I fill out the form with the necessary AWS details and hit "Test Connection" I get an error (shown below) stating the "The Connect Series for ODBC PostgreSQL Wire Protocol driver is only licensed to connect to PostgreSQL databases. You are attempting to connect to the following type of server: PostgreSQL 8.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu". This error does not make sense, as Redshift IS a postgres database.

Please note that I am able on to install an ODBC driver on the Windows machine hosting Qlik and point it to the redshift database successfully; however, I would MUCH prefer to connect directly to the Redshift database directly from the Data Load Editor. Please advise.

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 11.44.55 AM.png

• Re: Connecting to Redshift database from Qlik Sense Cloud
          Michael Tarallo

Hi Dylan - thanks for your question - first for clarification - we don't allow you to connect to ODBC sources yet from Qlik Sense Cloud (as per title of your discussion) - so do you mean Qlik Sense Enterprise Server, a local installation on premise or up in your own cloud-like infrastructure? (I assume so)

If that is the case - the ODBC connector pack drivers are not recommend to connect to Redshift they are for standard PostgreSQL installations only - Redshift is packaged and licensed differently Amazon Redshift and PostgreSQL - Amazon Redshift  - and that message is coming from the driver itself.

As you have stated, you can obtain the specific Redshift driver - but it would require someone to install it and configure the ODBC system DSN: Configure an ODBC Connection - Amazon Redshift  - then you would be able to use the generic ODBC connector to connect to Redshift form the Data Load Editor and select the DSN name:

Let me know how you do.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo (@mtarallo) | https://twitter.com/mtarallo

Qlik