cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding a named SQL server instance in Qlik Sense

Hi,

I am new to Qlik Sense. I am trying to add a SQL server via "Load data." I choose "Microsoft SQL Server". When I try to enter the host name, which in my case, using a named SQL server instance, is "sql13\gfdm", the "next" button is greyed out because of the backslash. How can I add the SQL server anyway?

This document mentions adding named server instances, but it refers to QlikView:

Connecting to Named Microsoft SQL Server Instances

Emptying the port doesn't help in Qlik Sense.

Thanks & best regards,

Georg

7 Replies
rittermd
Master
Master

Basically you create an app.  Then in the data load you add a new connector.  If you use OLE DB you put in the server name/instance, the user name and password, and the database you want to connect to.  Then give it a name. 

My server name/instance is 192.168.30.201\HMBI_DEV and that works fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Try using the windows hostname feature and create alias for it to see if that works.

serge__g
Contributor III
Contributor III

hi,

i've the same problem with a hostname when the caracter \ is used.

i've two sql server the first without \ --> SERVEUR1 and no problem

the second with \ --> SERVEUR2\COMPTA  and this case i've a problem

have you find a solution???

best regards

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Just delete the "\" in the box name of the connection (at the bottom of the dialog box)

BR

Felipe.

rascs001
Contributor II
Contributor II

Named instances appear to not be recognized by SQL Server connection. Even after connection name is stripped off of the backslash, connection is not established with the instance specified but the default instance. For example, when I attempt to connect to server1\specialinstance, I get connected to server1.

The workaround is to connect to OLE DB, choose SQL Server Native Client and type your instance name in it (e.g. server1\specialinstance). Thereafter, all works as expected.

Daniel-PNW
Contributor III
Contributor III

That is interesting. For the SQL Server Native Client was what I was advised to use too, but it doesn't work. To reiterate, I can get to default SQL no problem, but try using  \instance and it fails. I figured there must be permission issues not propagated to the instance, but basic security seems the same. Anyone know of other ideas or security settings to check?

rascs001
Contributor II
Contributor II

Same problem here with Qlik Sense. We have just standardized to using OLEDB for connectivity to SQL Server named instance and SQL Server native client for default instance. I don't quite know if it is a bug on Qlik Sense's side that causes us to not connect to named instances.