12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2017 12:41 PM by Maciej Rodak RSS

How to change data source from local to server

Maciej Rodak

Hi,

I've created an app with connection source to my local server (on my computer). I would like to change it's credentials to the server, which has got the same databases etc.

I'm not sure is this possible with Qlik Sense Desktop. I'm affraid I will have to make all connections once between data again.

I would like to have this change without unlocking Data Load.

Maciek

• Re: How to change data source from local to server
          Bill Markham

Have you tried editing the existing Data Connections ?

Chanty 4u

Hi,

Edit the data connection and give your exact connection string or path.

Maciej Rodak

I can do this I think only when I unlock the section that was generated automatically. M

Aehman K

Create a New local connection and change your from destination for the from script.

Previous SQL data load

Ex:

From YourViewName.ABS

change it to

FROM [lib:/YourLocalConnection/XYZ.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is SheetName);

Maciej Rodak

You're right however, it' s possible only, when I unlock data load. This will result in fact I cannot manage my tables, connections (keys) between them etc. (maybe I don't loose it, but I don't now how to behave in that situation).

DataLoad_170203.png

When I unlock this section, I can simply create another connection and change the text in upper section from "MACI" to my new connection name.

But it results in something like that:

DataLoad2_170203.png

When I don't unlock it (and can't change connection) my model looks like that:

DataLoad3_170203.png

Aehman K

Yeah, just unlock it.

Why can't you unlock? Unlock will not effect the script or data, it will just allow you to edit the script.

If you worried then make a duplicate of this app, unlock the sheet and make a new connection.

After you make a new connection, are you giving that name in From or LIB ?

what's the new connection name and can you also paste the screenshot of new connection name & script?

Thanks.

Maciej Rodak

I thought I will be able to have my connection changed as well as I will not lose the ability to manage my data from Data Manager. So this is a normal situation that Qlik users unlock data and manage it manually. Is it possible then to set key references between tables manually in this situation?

This is my Data load after changes.

I gave its new name in LIB.

Połączenie_170203.png

And this is my new connection string.

OLEDB CONNECT TO [Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=IBM;Initial Catalog=Analysis;]

Bill Markham

I must admit I have never used the QlikSense Data Manager.

Having come from a QlikView background I am comfortable writing load scripts and to be honest see no advantages that the Data Manager would give.  I expect those who have come straight into QlikSense with no exposure to QlikView may well have a different viewpoint, indeed in due course I may well find some advantages of the Data Manager.

When you say "set key references between tables manually", I think you mean giving the same name to 2 fields in 2 tables to create an association between the 2 tables.  This can be done manually in the load script by renaming fields with script like this :

Load

OldFieldName as NewFieldName,

........... etc...........

Just my personal opinion, other people's opinions are available.

Maciej Rodak

Thank you Bill. Qlik Sense is my first contact with Qlik applications. That is why I thought it's normal to use data manager as a primary tool to link data between tables. Now I see it's one of the ways to do this. Lack of possibility to change connection string without unlocking data load and wasting a chance to use the functionality of data manager is a con. All in all, it was important for me to understand that it's normal behavior to change script manually and it helped me to understand how I can make connections between tables.

M.

Aehman K

Yes, that should work as long as the table view is same from your DB it will load the script.

It's just like you renamed the folder name but the content in the folder is same and changing name of folder won't effect the files inside it.

And you can do many things manually and yes also make a link/key between tables.

As Bill mentioned you can change the field names to match your other table and make association. But yeah the values should also match then it makes sense to create a key.

Like you have changed the name in your table above [BudzetId] as [BudzetDanview....]

Usually the key is a Numeric value like IDs. One key is enough to link tables more than 1 will create syntetic keys or also circular loops and we don't want that...

Anyway, I hope you got your new data connection working with same view.