3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2017 8:32 AM by Jai Soni RSS

Qlik Sense 3.1.x - Engine Search Index

Travis Dirmyer

Hello Everyone,

What benefit does this index feature provide? The description is fairly vague. I am a Sense system admin and one of my developers is asking for me to turn it off. But they don't even know what it does. I have looked through a number of online resources for Sense 3.1.x for this index feature and cannot get a clear picture of what it does. I do not want to turn off this indexing feature, unless it does something that I can discern as undesirable based on how my company uses sense.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.1/Content/WhatsNew/What-is-new-31.htm

"The QMC now has an engine setting: Create search index during reload, which improves the first search experience for a user."

"The first search experience". Which "first search"? At what point on the hub, does this come into play?

thank you.

Message was edited by: Travis Dirmyer - corrected grammar.

• Re: Qlik Sense 3.1.x - Engine Search Index
          Travis Dirmyer

Hello, just checking in again. Not sure if anyone else has any insight into this Search Index on the sense engines.

thank you.

Arnaldo Sandoval

Hi Travis,

We were experiencing some issues with Qlik Sense while Creating Search Index process, when I found your question and an article about the Qlik Sense parameter: "CreateSearchIndexOnReload="; This article could help you clarify your doubts about this feature. Create Search Index On Reload

This article explains that the "Search Index" is a physical file on disk associated with each individual Qlik Sense application, it could be an issue if you have a multi-node site, because the "Search Index" file could be created (by Qlik) on the wrong node, then the Qlik Sense Application will create another one if it is running on a different node, in the end, you may end with several "Search Index files" all over your nodes.

Hope this helps,

Jai Soni

My two cents... With shared persistence all the apps are stored in single location and so is the physical file related to search index. I ran some tests and looks like when I do a search in app then only index are being created in Qlikshare\Apps\Search folder. If I do a reload it doesn’t create the corresponding app folder however at the same time if I set the variable (set CreateSearchIndexOnReload=1;) in load script it does create during the reload.