5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2009 11:54 AM by alexandravieira RSS

more than one 'if' in expression?

Hello!

I was wondering if it was possible to have more than one if in the expression of a gauge chart (or any other chart, for that matter), something like this:

if(isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A), Sum(Value_E))
      if(isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)), Sum(Value_E), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)) * Sum(Value_E))
      if(isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)), Sum(Value_E), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)) * Sum(Value_E))
      if(isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)), Sum(Value_E), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)) * Sum(Value_E))

The gauge result will depend on what values are selected in fields A, B and C, and if no value is selected on these fields, then I just want it to display sum(Value_E).

The only alternative I see here is a very complicated set of chained if's...

Thanks!

Alexandra

• more than one 'if' in expression?
          Stephen Redmond

Hi Alexandra,

It doesn't have to be too complicated.

=if(isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)), Sum(Value_E),
          if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)) * Sum(Value_E),
          if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)) * Sum(Value_E),
          if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)) * Sum(Value_E)
          ))))

Note that this will not work if more than one item is selected in A, B, or C because GetFieldSelections returns a comma separated list.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Stephen, thanks for your answer,

Indeed that expression doesn't seem very complicated, but the problem is the following: Values A, B and C start with no value selected. Then, on the course of the application use, the user selectes one value from Value_A and then another from Value_B (these are slider objects, btw, and so is Value_C).

So, you see, when one from Value_A is selected, the gauge calculates the expression, 'num(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)) * Sum(Value_E)', but then the user selects a value fom Value_B, with Value_A still being selected and QV is still going only for the first 'else' in the expression, not evaluating if Value_B has any selection.

What I want is for QV to take into account that Value_A is selected as well as Value_B (and possibly even Value_C) and so I would like it to calculate 'num(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)) * Sum(Value_E)' and then again ' * num(GetFieldSelections(Field_B))'. That's why I want several if's, so QV can evaluate all the three values A, B and C...

Chained if's will lead QV to evaluate only the first that has any value.

kind of like

int i = Sum(Value_E)
              if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)))
              i *= num(GetFieldSelections(Field_A))
              if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)))
              i *= num(GetFieldSelections(Field_B))
              if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C))
              i *= num(GetFieldSelections(Field_C))

Stephen Redmond

Hi Alexandra,

Not too difficult to code. Just looks long:

=if(isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)), Sum(Value_E),
                  if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)) * Sum(Value_E),
                  if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_A)) and not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)) and isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_B)) * Sum(Value_E),
                  if(not isnull(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)), num(GetFieldSelections(Field_C)) * Sum(Value_E)
                  ))))

You can include as many ifs as you need.

Stephen