3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2017 11:27 AM by Michael Tarallo RSS

Issue with Connecting Qliksense to Hive using JDBC Connectors

Praveena Kumar

Hi,

I have installed JDBC Connectors (64bit) of TIQ solutions.And using it to connect to Hive to extract data.

While connecting or configuring the connection in Qliksense, I get below message as per attached snippet. Can someone provide a solution to this?

Thanks

• Re: Issue with Connecting Qliksense to Hive using JDBC Connectors
          Michael Tarallo

Hello Praveena,

I see the error box is covering the connect statement in the data load editor, but I am assuming you are attempting to use a traditional JDBC connect statement like you would with a Java program?? If so, that is not how it works with Qlik products. We are not a Java-based product. In order to connect to HIVE we would recommend you use the Hive ODBC drivers - and connect by configuring the ODBC DSN and then using that DSN in the Qlik Sense Configuration.

Here is a video that covers ODBC connections that may help you:

The other option would be to use the ODBC/JDBC bridge (NOT RECOMMENDED) (where you would still connect through ODBC but configure the ODBC DSN connection using your JDBC settings) - BUT I think that is not necessary as a pure ODBC driver is available for HIVE. Note ODBC/JDBC bridge has caused issues in my experience and it was always experimental and never supported by Oracle anyway.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Praveena Kumar

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your point, but the point is here when am connecting to HIVE I in between will be authenticated with a third party server for security reasons, which in turn will traverse me to HIVE connection and this third party server is configured in such a way to connect through JDBC only.

However I will try your second option provided and see for any luck.

Thanks,

Praveena Kumar

Michael Tarallo

OK - I see what you mean - there is a 3rd party in between (application layer that only accepts JDBC communications) - I get it.

The I think the only bet would be to use the JDBC  / ODBC bridge - OR if there is any other interface the 3rd part accepts - like REST protocol - that could be an option (if REST is supported)

Let me know how it goes.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik