9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2017 9:37 AM by Peter Cammaert RSS

Sample Sets of Data

Seth Rosenbauer

I'm looking to create a flag that randomly selects 5% of my unique identifiers and flags them as a "Trial Group". See my code below

if((rand()<=0.05+now()*0) = 0, 'Standard Group', 'Trial Group') as [Trial Flag]

I'm uncertain if this is doing what I want it to do. At a quick look it does, but I'm a little confused on how this is randomly selecting 5% of unique identifiers without referencing the unique identifier in this line of code??

• Re: Sample Sets of Data
          Adam Davies

hmmm ignore what I said, I think your method seems to be the accepted solution!

Adam Davies

Here is my working, sorry im just heading out of the office but will pick up in the morning.

This is selecting an EXACT 5% sample, not just a rough one, i.e. in my data 1093 rows every time

Sorry its a work in progress, need to tidy it all up

Adam Davies

Hi Seth,

I am working on this, but decided to make a blog of it as its vexed me for ages, so I am doing some proper testing.

So far I am happy with the results though

Capture.PNG

Adam Davies

OK so the simple answer is:

1- *i assume* your current set up will be loading 5% of all of your transactions not customers

2- the current setup is not completely accurate so if you want your sample tolerance to be within +/- 0.05% then check out my blog (Accurately selecting a random percentage sample)

If you're happy with a tolerance of what appears to be +/- 1% then you can do something like the below.

If your current code is say:

fact:

Load

transactionid,

sequence,

somotherdata,

from blah;

Then this will be a 5% (ish) sample of all data.

To make this be a 5% sample of sequence then something like this needs to be done (and you could also left join if you wanted) and apologies if my syntax is out anywhere I have written this on the fly:

tmp:

load distinct

sequence

from blah;

noconcatenate

tmp2:

mapping load

sequence

resident tmp;

drop table tmp;

fact:

Load

transactionid,

sequence,

somotherdata,

applymap('tmp2',source,null()) as [Trial Flag]

from blah;

Peter Cammaert

If you want to randomly select 5% of unique Customer names, you can use this in your script:

CustomerTypes:
                  LOAD FieldValue('CustomerName', RowNo()) AS CustomerName,
                  AUTOGENERATE FieldValueCount('CustomerName');

You can use whatever field in whatever facts table to extract only distinct values. Of course, the same would be true if you use a LOAD DISTINCT, but this code loads from the symbol table, which may be faster.

Peter