5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2017 3:43 PM by Lei Zhou RSS

data association question

Lei Zhou

Hello, respected experts,

I am a new Qlik sense enterprise user but played with desktop version for a while.

I have a problem with data association (at least i think it is all about data association)

I have uploaded 3 files from database, sales, booking and backlog, which all have date, product type, region, industry sector and customer name fields. currently I associate them together with a separate calendar file with YearMonth fields. so I created a  filter with "Year Quarter Month" to show the total depending on the time period selected. so far so good.

I also need to create  filters to look at region, product Type or IndustrySector for all three files, which I ran into problems.

if I use sales.productType as dimension for filter, I can't filter other two files; if I associate all three files with ProductType, then I can filter ProductType for 3 files w/o problem, but I can't select time period of all 3 files.  I understand it is not recommended to have more than one association (causing synthetic key), but how do I approach this?

also, I want to create the table as below for the select time period, only sales show the correct distribution among the industrySector, orders and backlog only populated as total values;

sales.INDUSTRYSCTORsalesordersbacklog
      INDUSTRIAL
      ENERGY
      SPACE
      GOVT/DEFENSE

can I create a dimension which can apply to all 3 files, and used in table and filter? 

can creating a compound key to associate all 3 files solve the problem? how the compound key would look like in this case?

Please forgive the question is too basic, got stuck.

I am looking forward to reading here for solutions,

Lei

Message was edited by: Lei Zhou I created a sample file mirroring the real data. Thanks all the community experts, please shed me some lights on my problems, I want to have this solved. THANKS!!!