9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2017 9:19 AM by Michael Tarallo RSS

Updating a data source in Qlik Sense Cloud

Jake Swart

I'm trialing your software to see if it meets our business needs. Here is what I have created so far:

1. Under Sense Cloud, I have uploaded an excel sheet

2. Created a new app

3. Loaded the excel sheet as a data source

4. Created a sheet with a simple bar chart visualization

Now here's where things do not go as expected:

5. Go back into Sense Cloud and reupload the excel file with new data - same named file, no column changes

6. Check the chart visualization and there's *no change*

What didn't my chart update automatically?

Thanks

• Re: Updating a data source in Qlik Sense Cloud
          Michael Tarallo

Hello Jake,

Thanks for your questions and joining the community.

Are you uploading the data to the file location - or are you attaching the file to the app. There is a difference here. "Attached files" are a part of the app - files that are uploaded / imported are referenced when using the default folder / file connector.

Let us know - happy to help.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Jake Swart

I imported the file under "My Data Files", then used the file within the app.

Within the app I go to add data, then use the file under "Connections".

Michael Tarallo

Perfect - I have seen this occur to me as well and I was told they fixed this. I will inquire and get back to you as soon as I hear something.

Michael Tarallo

sorry - hit reply too soon. Just checking - after you upload / over write the data file - you go back to the app and reload the data correct?

Jake Swart

No, I did not. My expectation would have been that an update to the underlying file would have triggered an update to the graphs within the app. Does that not happen automatically?

I believe I read a post on this that you have to reload it manually, but an enterprise version does this automatically. Is that correct? If so, I was really hoping to trial the full capabilities as I am trying to see if this does a better job at auto updating my charts than Klipfolio.

Thanks

Sarah Kohler

Hi Jake,

Thank you for checking out Qlik Sense through Qlik Sense Cloud!

We do not automatically refresh data when you upload a new version of a source file.  This is by design.  Most apps contain data from multiple locations and it would not be efficient to kick off multiple refreshes while a user is continuing to get their latest data.

If you wish, you have access to a 14 day trial of Qlik Sense Cloud Business, which offers scheduled reloads.  You can define the time of day you wish a refresh to occur, and the latest files will be incorporated into the reload script execution.  This becomes more interesting when you are also connecting to applications.  We have released a connector to sf.com and will soon make our REST, DropBox, and the first 3 web connectors Generally Available within this subscription level.  There are also menu options to "refresh now".

Alternatively in our free/never expires accounts, you simply open the app and re-run the Load and then use the updated version of your app immediately.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions!

Sarah Kohler

Director, Product Mgmt, Qlik Cloud

Michael Tarallo

Thanks Jake and Sarah -

@Jake - please let me know how you are doing and if there is anything else we can do to help.

I believe I read a post on this that you have to reload it manually, but an enterprise version does this automatically. Is that correct?

Just to address this question - there is a task scheduler available in the Qlik Management Console (QMC) which comes with Enterprise. You can schedule tasks to perform certain reload actions for apps. With Qlik Sense Cloud Business - there is a light admin interface that allows you to schedule a refresh for your app. You can see more in this video - let me know how you do.

Qlik Sense Cloud Business - Orientation - you can see this around the 10:52 min mark but I suggest you watch the entire video if you have not seen it already.

More videos here:

New to Qlik Sense Videos

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provide solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik