21 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2017 7:27 AM by Pekka Kana RSS

QlikView SNMP error

Pekka Kana

Hi

I'm having problem with QlikView and SNMP. Not 100% sure what to call the program since the problem is with our clients server and we're hosting it. Server is Windows Server 2012 R2 and programs and features shows these apps installed:

QlikView NPrinting Designer

QlikView NPrinting Server

QlikView Server x64

QlikView X64

And for the actual problem: we cannot monitor this server (where QlikView is installed) with SNMP. I've tried few tricks which I found on this forum, but still cannot get SNMP working. I am 100% sure that this is because of QlikView, not networking, firewall / other problem.

Tried these tweaks:

- Disable SNMP support for QlikView Server service, add "EnableSNMP" registry key (REG_SZ) in HKLM\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7 and set it to 0 (zero)

- In v10 to disable SNMP, add the following string in the QlikView Server configuration file ( [Settings 7] paragraph of C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings.ini ) => EnableSNMP=0

Also everything what reads in here:

Can I switch off SNMP on QVS?

Re: Disable SNMP in qlikview?

Disable SNMP for QlikView server

Still no go. Any help from you guys or new things / tricks which I could try? Help would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: QlikView SNMP error
          Pekka Kana

BUMP

Still trying to figure this out

Stefan Wühl

Could you tell what is actually returned when you request a respond?

Also, could you specify the versions of the Qlik products installed?

See also

SNMP ‒ QlikView

where you may find more information about SNMP configuration for the different QlikView services.

Pekka Kana

From successful response I get FQDN of the server, ie: hostname.domain.com

Unsuccessful response I won't get FQDN. Error report:

Error executing snmpget to [IP] on [SNMP_AGENT] (Error: JavaException: net.basen.scriptutils.ScriptableException: [IP]: No SNMP response. Timeout=2000ms, retries=1. Tried with SNMPv2C and SNMPv1)

SNMP community is correct and OID is: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

Versions of programs are:

QlikView x64 v. 11.20.12235.0

QlikView Server x64 v. 11.20.13206.0

QlikView NPrinting Server v. 16.0.0.0

QlikView NPrinting Designer v. 16.0.0.0

Peter Cammaert

Doh, it's been a while since I last tried to get SNMP working on a Windows/QlikView server (and my notes from that time are located somewhere else).

But what I remember from those experiments is this:

• It's either Windows or QlikView you can monitor using SNMP, not both
                • If you want to monitor Windows, you should first install the services and enable them. Then you need to configure your firewall settings, otherwise requests will be blocked.
                • AFAIK QlikView SNMP isn't enabled by default, but that may have changed in recent product releases.

Best,

Peter

Pekka Kana

It's either Windows or QlikView you can monitor using SNMP, not both

* It's absolutely Windows which we want to monitor

If you want to monitor Windows, you should first install the services and enable them. Then you need to configure your firewall settings, otherwise requests will be blocked.

* Windows services are installed (SNMP Service + SNMP WMI Provider) and working. Tested with Paessler SNMP Tester 5.2.3.

* Firewall is configured to allow UDP on both directions (in/out) to our SNMP agent hosts (=from where we send out SNMP requests). Also there is a rule to allow SNMP protocol to both directions to these same SNMP agent hosts.

AFAIK QlikView SNMP isn't enabled by default, but that may have changed in recent product releases.

* I put 3 links into my first post and tried to disable QlikView SNMP service from everywhere I could find. SNMP is still not working.

Stefan Wühl

Have you tried disabling all QV services and restarted the system? Just to double check that QV is really causing the issue.

You can also explicitely specify ports different from 161 for QV SNMP (as described in your referenced threads and the Help docs).

Pekka Kana

If I stop all QlikView services and restart computer, will those services still be stopped after restart? Server is hosted so I have to ask permission for reboot, so I'm making sure those services are staying shut down after I stop them.

I tried restarting computer earlier, don't remember 100% every trick I tried then..

Pekka Kana

Well this is interesting. I disabled all QlikView services (after I stopped them of course) and restarted server. Tried getting SNMP response from agent. No answer. I can however get an answer when checking locally with Paessle SNMP Tester, so SNMP is surely working. I even tried stopping Windows SNMP service -> tested SNMP -> indicated SNMP is not working -> started SNMP service -> tested SNMP -> SNMP OK.

I'm really puzzled about this.

Peter Cammaert

Well, that may not be entirely unexpected. SNMP is a device management protocol, not only a reporting protocol. As a result, it usually doesn't travel WANs/internets well because that would be an invitation to hack your devices. SNMP is not very secure.

In your OP, you were talking about "hosting" these QlikView services for your customer(s). Do you have VPN access to this hosting environment? If so, check whether SNMP works through a tunnel. If not, you may still have work to do in your firewall configuration. Note that - depending on the complexity of your network(s), there may be a firewall device between subnets that blocks SNMP traffic. So Windows firewall may be open to all queries, but your network may still block them.

Pekka Kana

BUMP - anymore ideas what to do / check?

Stefan Wühl

If I understand correctly, you still have the issue with disabled Qlik services, and you confirmed that the process listening on the port is the Windows SNMP process.

You are able to communicate locally, but you don't get a response when you are trying to get a remote access.

Honestly, it seems to me that this is not a Qlik related issue, so you might be better off if you are requesting help from a Windows / SNMP/ Network forum and / or from experts that know your specific network configuration.

The only one thing left that comes to my mind is to check NPrinting Server, I don't know if this offers SNMP monitoring at all. Just ensure that if it does, disable the service as well.

Pekka Kana

You are correct, I'm still having issues even though Qlik services were disabled.

Maybe the problem is really somewhere else, don't really know where or what to try next except explain situation again in some Windows server forum and see if someone there has some insight on this.. Thx for your help anyway!

Peter Cammaert

I agree with Stefan - it looks more and more that something is still blocking traffic somewhere, even with all QlikView services disabled. In your OP you stated that " I am 100% sure that this is because of QlikView, not networking, firewall / other problem.", but that now seems to contradict your later findings as you took Qlik out of the equation at least once and SNMP still didn't work from a remote client.

Did you attempt the local Paessler test with all Qlik services disabled (even NPrinting)?

BTW I checked my notes and there was nothing in them besides the measures that were already discussed/listed before

Pekka Kana

I disabled all services which name started with QlikView, wasn't aware that there was also QlikView service named NPrinting. Anyway, local SNMP test with Paessler worked OK even though that service was running.

Soooo, I'm guessing that next step is Windows Server forum. Thx for help!

Peter Cammaert

For good measure, I did a clean SNMP setup on a local QV monster that is running Win Svr 2012 R2. What I did is:

• Disabled SNMP in Settings.ini (QVS). The DistributionService has SNMP disabled by default, it seems.
                                            • Install SNMP Service, SNMP WMI provider and SNMP Tools (using Service Manager, add Windows features)
                                            • I did not do a Windows reboot (lots of reload tasks running)
                                            • Entered my contact details in Services Ctrl panel->SNMP Service->Properties->Agent and enabled all services.
                                            • Configured a "public" community in Services Ctrl panel->SNMP Service->Properties->Security and switched the "Accept from..." to All Hosts.
                                            • The Windows firewall rules are created during installation of the SNMP service (both for local and domain networks), so I didn't change anything there.

Using a test tool (SNMPutilg.exe), I found out that SNMP sends replies from both a local session as well as a remote client immediately. It worked out of the box...

Is your "troublesome" server hosted in a VM? Could the HyperVisor be filtering SNMP requests for this particular server?

[Edit] This machine is running QV x64 11.20.13405 (SR15), no NPrinting