7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2017 6:16 PM by Brian MacDonald RSS

Consistent colors across charts

Brian MacDonald

This seems like a simple problem but I am having trouble with it.  I want similar measures to have similar colors across two charts in my application.

2017-04-27_11-20-00.jpg

I have tried changing the order of the series in the bar chart. I have "persistent colors" checked in the pie chart.  Nothing seems to work.

To make matters even more confounding I did some sample data for the last 4 months to post here and that dataset seemed to work the way it should.

Hoping someone can shed some light here.

TIA.

• Re: Consistent colors across charts
          Ashwin Lakshmanan

Hi Brian,

You can force Qlik to assign specific colors by choosing Appearance --> Colors and Legend --> By Expression and then entering a formula in the "Expression" bar. The formula can be something like this:

if(measure='<2', 'blue',

if(measure='2-12', 'red',

if(measure='12-24', 'green',

if(measure='>24', 'yellow'))))

You can also use hexadecimal colors. For example, in the code above - you can replace 'yellow' with '#daa520'.

If you follow the same procedure in all the charts you want to be consistent with each other, your issue should be solved! Hope this helps!

Happy Qlik-ing!

Brian MacDonald

Here's the *.qvf with the full data set.  Thanks for your help.

Ashwin Lakshmanan

You will have to create a new variable in the Data Load Editor for the different categories. Let us say you create a new variable as follows:

if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report <=2, '<=2'

, if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report >2 AND hours_eeg_upload_to_report <=12, '2-12'

, if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report >12 AND hours_eeg_upload_to_report <=24, '12-24'

, '24+'))) as hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Now in the Front End, you can call 'hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories' as your dimension.

-Your measure remains the same.

-In the Colors and Legend --> By Expression, use this following formula:

if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories = '<=2', 'blue',

if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories = '2-12', 'red',

if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories = '12-24', 'yellow', 'green')))

Brian MacDonald

Sweet, That worked! 

The final expression turned out to be:

if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories = '<=2', '#4476A9'

, if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories = '2-12', '#117833'

, if(hours_eeg_upload_to_report_categories = '12-24', '#DDCB75'

, '#CB6676')))

This site was helpful in getting the color codes

Get Colors from Image

I tried the same expression in the stacked bar chart but it did not work.  I was forced to match the colors in the bar chart.