4 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2017 11:21 AM by Casey Marincin RSS

Filter pane in a line chart

Casey Marincin

I am working in Qlik Sense 3.1.  I have a requirement to display a measure per some dimension A and per another dimension B.  To achieve this, I have an app that includes a line chart and a filter pane.  The line chart displays the given measure against dimension A.  The filter pane includes only dimension / field B.  This way, if the user does not make a selection in the filter pane, the line chart's measure is across all data loaded.  Otherwise, the line chart's measure is across only the selection(s) made in the filter pane.

I have a request to somehow push the filter pane into the line chart.  That is, the user wants a filter pane somehow embedded in the line chart to drive the measure's data set, rather than having to use a separate visualization to make filter selections.  Is this possible?  If so, how?

• Re: Filter pane in a line chart
          Kaushik Solanki

Hi,

Probably I couldnt understand your requirement. Can you explain more in detail. If possible with example or the screenshots.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Matthew Quinn

Hi Casey,

for manipulating and editing charts you should look at either Mashups or Widgets which are located in the dev. hub. You cannot put a filter pane within a line chart but with these two options I mentioned, you could engineer your own object which contains both a filter pane and line chart.

Thanks,

Andy Weir

As the guys have said you need to be using an extension of some kind to make the setting of your values in a particular chart dynamic.

take a look at this.  it might give you some ideas.

Makes Sense to go round in circles

Casey Marincin

Hi Andy,

I took a look at the link and Word doc you posted.  I don't think a drill-down or a cyclic group will work for what I'm trying to achieve.  A cyclic group won't work because I don't need the dimension in the line chart to change.  I simply need the data to be filtered by some other dimension.  A drill-down will "kind of" work in that I do have 2 levels -- all data in the "top level" of the hierarchy, and subsets in the "bottom level".  However, the "bottom level" is a composition of several subsets, which doesn't make a drill-down applicable.  (For example, group "Parent" is composed of sub-groups "Child 1", "Child 2", Child 3", etc., with no overlap in the sub-groups and no levels below each child group.)

So, I think I need to look into the Mashups / Widgets instead that Matthew pointed out.  (Of course, I need to talk with the user about balancing development time for this custom request versus the relative benefit over simply using out-of-the-box functionality, i.e., a line chart and a separate filter pane.)  I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Thanks,

Casey