16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2017 8:51 AM by Michael Solomovich RSS

Sum if with a set year

Reiko Hayami

Hi - I have the below expression that is working for a survey results.  The table shows results as below.

100*Sum(IF([Would Recommend]='Yes',1,0))/Sum(IF([Would Recommend]='Yes' or [Would Recommend]='No',1,0))

I want to show only 2016FY and 2017YTD without users having to select years. The year is called "Completed Year".  Ideally, I want to have the table to look like this.  But I don't think it's possible.   So if you could tell me how I can get to the expression to show just the 2016 without selecting any year filter, that would be a great start for me.

I tried this but of course it doesn't work..

100*Sum({1}IF([Completed Year]='2016' and [Would Recommend]='Yes',1,0))/Sum(IF([[Completed Year]='2016' and [Would Recommend]='Yes' or [Would Recommend]='No',1,0))

Thank you!

• Re: Sum if with a set year
          Sinan Ozdemir

Hi,

Would you be able to attach a sample app or data set?

Thanks

Michael Solomovich

(I've made some assumptions about your data, so if it doesn't work, please attach your app.)

First, you can simplify the original expression:

100*count({<[Would Recommend]={'Yes'}>} [Would Recommend])/count([Would Recommend])

Next, for the year 2016:

100*count({<[Would Recommend]={'Yes'}, [Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])/count({<[Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])

I hope you can figure out the rest...

Reiko Hayami

Thank you for this!  The expression itself works perfectly.  Now my table looks like this, mind you, I need to do 2016 and 2017 for other categories as well but I can probably apply the same to them. Problem here is I need to have the Year as columns and Recommend in row, but I can't figure out how to make the visualization work that way. :[

Michael Solomovich

Here is an example of a table without the real dimensions.  Actually, there is a dimension there, based on ValueList() function.

Of course it is not a solution but an idea how you can build your table.  I'm just using dummy expressions here,

Reiko Hayami

I actually don't know how to open the qvf file.  Could you please direct me to a thread that may have instructions on how to view that?  Thank you.

Michael Solomovich

Well, you're on Sense forums, and your screenshots look "sensy" ,that is qvf.

Anyway...  First, you download the file.  Next:

If you have Qlik Sense Desktop, copy the file into C:\Users\<actual user, that is yourself>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps
                            If you use Qlik Server, you have to go Applications, and import the file.

Reiko Hayami

I don't have Qlik Sense Desktop, so when I try to import the saved qvf file from the app, it says the file format is not supported, looks like only qvd and qvx..

Michael Solomovich

QMC certainly can import qvf files.  Maybe it is a version difference (?)  I saved it now in an older version, see if you can import it now.

Reiko Hayami

It still says the file is not supported;;  I will ask another staff here in a bit to see how they are importing.  I used Region instead of Year for now, which should be something the management would want to see anyways.

Meanwhile I lied and could not get the other ones to work... Here is the working expression for NPS numbers, and how can I make this one so that it would be for Completed Year 2016?  Thank you!!

(SUM(if([Would Recommend]='Yes',1,0))/COUNT([Would Recommend]) - SUM(if([Would Recommend]='No',1,0))/COUNT([Would Recommend]))*100

Reiko Hayami

Actually I did the following for NPS.... It spits out a reasonable number... Is this correct or can it be simplified?  Thanks..

100*count({<[Would Recommend]={'Yes'}, [Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])/count({<[Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])-(100*count({<[Would Recommend]={'No'}, [Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])/count({<[Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend]))

Michael Solomovich

Looks fine to me.  It could be a little bit simplified, not much.  E.g., as if you have

100*A/C - 100*B/C

can be replaced with

100(A-B)/C

But it's fine to keep as is, of course.

And, since you have a dimension now in your table (Region), you don't need my qvf anymore.  It is specifically for the "no-dimension" situation.

Reiko Hayami

Michael - I got everything else to work including var. and background color expressions, BUT, the very 1st expression for Recommend actually doesn't give the correct #.  The result of the original expression I had below for 2016 would have been 94.7.  They are always in the 90's.

100*Sum(IF([Would Recommend]='Yes',1,0))/Sum(IF([Would Recommend]='Yes' or [Would Recommend]='No',1,0))

The expression you did with 2016 below gives 89.5.

100*count({<[Would Recommend]={'Yes'}, [Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])/count({<[Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])

I'm really not sure what could be causing this because I did all other categories in the way you did and they all give correct #s. Just this one. Please take another look? ;_;  Thank you so much.

Michael Solomovich

As I've said at the beginning, there maybe something about you data that I can't guess.  For example, there could be [Would Recommend] values other than 'Yes' and 'No'.  If this is the case, this will help:

100*count({<[Would Recommend]={'Yes'}, [Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])/count({< [Would Recommend]={'Yes','No'}, [Completed Year]={2016}>} [Would Recommend])

If this doesn't help, I'm out of guesses.  You can either upload your app to help me to find the reason, or reverse back to sum(), with some modifications:

100*Sum({<[Completed Year]={2016}>} IF([Would Recommend]='Yes',1,0))/Sum({<[Completed Year]={2016}>} IF([Would Recommend]='Yes' or [Would Recommend]='No',1,0))