I installed this version on Windows 2012 R2 Server and had some issues, the first of which is what you have reported. Based on other posts in this forum, I used 'netstat -a' and was able to determine that nothing was listening on port 443.
I then found an error logged in c:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Log\Repository that allowed me to solve my problem. In this case, I'd forgotten to share out the folder that Qlik Sense uses.
This may be totally different to your situation but using netstat and the log file was sufficient for me to diagnose.
You will have to check the system repository logs from c:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Log\Repository and check whether repository service has been started successfully.
Check the ports by the command netstat -anob>a.txt and then again a.txt on same command prompt and see what all services listed to which ports