Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neil_fitzpatric
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

'value colors' from June 2017 release are grey on calculated dimension

Hello,

I am trying to use the new value colours function. as an example I'm using some dummy data and I'm trying to colour my top 3 sales guys individually.

I have this calculated dimension:

=if((aggr(rank(sum(Sales)),EmployeeName)<=3),EmployeeName)

Which works as you can see by this simple bar chart:top 3 emp by sumsales.png

Now I'm trying to use the new functionality:

value colours.png

But when I use the colour by dimension option, everything turns grey.

value colours problem.png

I did find a work around for my problem by using all employees as a dimension and colouring the employees in question in that dimension, but I feel like it should be possible in the way I was trying originally.

Any thoughts?

3 Replies
mosherterry
Contributor III
Contributor III

I was getting some quirky behavior as well with this new feature and found that in order to get my Library Colors to actually apply I had to drag my Master Dimension from the sidebar onto the object and choose the "Color by: <<Dimension Name>>" option.  Once I did this my Library colors actually worked as expected.

neil_fitzpatric
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

I gave the 'others' and 'null' options a recognisable colour and discovered that it's giving them null colours. So somehow my formula is evaluating to null, even though it's giving me the correct results for my chart.

I've tried wrapping it in another if statement to try to fix it:

=if(isnull(if((aggr(rank(sum(Sales)),EmployeeName)<=3),EmployeeName)),null(),if((aggr(rank(sum(Sales)),EmployeeName)<=3),EmployeeName))

Unfortunately it's not working...

annatrn1
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

We had the same error. We tried to apply custom colors to a Dimension called "Company", but the outcome was a chart with grey colors only.

I think the problem was that there is a field in our data model with the same name as the master dimension "Company". After creating a new master dimension with a different name "CompandyDIM" the colors where displayed correctly.