1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 5, 2017 1:47 AM by MIn Han Lee RSS

Qlik Sense June 2017 in Docker container

Aleksandrs Jemeljanovs

After a week of messing with the subject, here are the R&D outcomes that I've found:

1. Qlik Sense June 2017 (will refer as QS) works with Windows Server 2016 and the silent install (see my post Qlik Sense June 2017 silent setup on Windows Server 2016);
      2. QS can be silent-installed inside Windows Server 2016 Core docker image container the same way as in point 1.;
      3. Pre-requisites for the services to work are here: Active Directory Service Accounts for Windows Containers | Microsoft Docs, Virtualization-Documentation/windows-server-container-tools/ServiceAccounts at live · MicrosoftDocs/Virtualization-Docum…;
      4. The actual environment where I was testing all this was a Windows Server 2016 VM running in VirtualBox on MacBookPro late 2016, VM was joined to the Windows 2012 domain of our company and the gMSA (see point 3.);
      5. In the end I was able to install all and launch 6 of 7 services of QS, the Engine didn't start at all (I think it is missing the Shared Content) and Proxy was not able to connect to the Shared Content folder, also the Docker container lacked the bridged network interface and was not able to create one (or any other network by the way) and was out of the domain IP range (although I was able to link them when testing in Windows 10 containers), so I think it must be something with VirtualBox networking (just guessing).

The question is - could somebody take this a step further? Like, set it up on a real server with Win 2016, gMSA and docker running inside Your domain? I really think it will work in the field, but can not prove it on my own.

• Re: Qlik Sense June 2017 in Docker container
          MIn Han Lee

Hi! Glad to see someone trial-ed the windows docker with Qlik Sense.

You are correct. Engine service indeed won't start in the Docker. I don't know why and never have the opportunity to ask Qlik Support either. My setup was a simple Windows 10 Docker (Win 2016 core) with Qlik Sense share persistence setup.

I'll definitely revisit this only if Qlik starts to support this type of configuration.