Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriys1337
Creator III
Creator III

Section Access: Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access with QDF 4-layer structure

Hi all,

I am using the Qlik Deployment Framework, which seperates the QVD Generator layer, DataModel, DM with Security (Section Access) and the Frontend.

I would like to reduce views for different people with Section Access, this is done with the Setting "Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access".

My question is following: Where do I have to use / tick this  in the settings (Settings: Opening: itial Data Reduction Based on Section Access), at the Datamodel with Security (3. layer) and / or (just) at the Frontend?

There are 3 options, just tick it in layer 3, just tick it in layer 4 or in both?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I guess it belongs in the Front-end.

Data reduction is only useful when different users open your document(s) and need to see different subsets of your data. But AFAIK there is only one user that reads Stage-3 Datamodels, i.e. the QDS service account. If that user always gets the exact same data reduction, then why not simply change your script to load fewer records to begin with?

In addition to that, a load script run often undoes the effect of a data reduction, because the first thing that happens during a document reload (like in Stage 3) is a wipe of the entire data model. Whatever comes after is not influenced by a data reduction or section access (except when doing a BINARY load).

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I guess it belongs in the Front-end.

Data reduction is only useful when different users open your document(s) and need to see different subsets of your data. But AFAIK there is only one user that reads Stage-3 Datamodels, i.e. the QDS service account. If that user always gets the exact same data reduction, then why not simply change your script to load fewer records to begin with?

In addition to that, a load script run often undoes the effect of a data reduction, because the first thing that happens during a document reload (like in Stage 3) is a wipe of the entire data model. Whatever comes after is not influenced by a data reduction or section access (except when doing a BINARY load).

Best,

Peter