we have three different steps:
1: initial ideas are created in each developer's directory, where normally only developers have access to. Results, screens etc are showed in smaller circle.
2. Thereafter the application is moved into "Testing"-folders, usually also without access-restrictions (a bit depending on sensivity of the data). Applications here should be tested and further improved on basis of a broader audience (inhouse). Also Data must not be complete and do not always require to be 100% accurate. This phase should not take longer than 4-6 weeks.
3. File will be moved into working-directories, access-rights are defined and tiered into various depth. Here files will be open to inhouse and externals.
welcome aboard! I can only summarize all the answers above.
1. Typically, the application is first developed, presented, and tested, and then at the end the security is added. A word of caution - ALWAYS make a separate copy of your application before adding Section Access, because you will inevitably lock yourself out at the first attempt. So many people in this forum had started from losing their applications...
2. Set Analysis cannot be used for security. Use "Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access" flag on the Security tab in Document Properties.
3. If you have 40 departments, and if your data set is big, and if you are using Publisher - you might even consider slicing the document into 40 slices (using Publisher). This way, each Manager only needs to deal with approx. 2.5% of the overall data volume, hence the application should be much lighter. On the flip side, the server will have to open 40 documents instead of 1, so it might be heavier for the server - there are obvious pros and cons that need to be tested and weighed...
Do you think thats answers was helpfull enough?
Im also agree with most of the guys ...
- Set Analysis is not used for security reasons
- Finish you developmen first, double check everything and then implement the Section Access.
Do you know how to implement the security that you need in your applications ? Do you need some help about it ?