We figured out our issue. The system had originally been in Synced Persistence, but when we attempted to upgrade into Shared Persistence, the upgrade failed. Due to other issues as well, we ended up uninstalling Qlik Sense, and then reinstalling after pulling proper Postgres backups. Once I could reinstall fresh, I wrongly assumed I could install Shared Persistence (all other steps had been done). Once installed, I restored the Postgres DB backup, which I'm assuming switched our environment back to Synced, but it looked like Shared.
Long and short, because it was assuming different things in 2 different states, our Operations Monitor, along with other settings weren't operating properly. We resolved all of that this past weekend, and our Operations Monitor is functioning as it should.
I hope this helps someone else that might encounter this situation. Thank you.