cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to connect via ODBC to Server

Dear all,

I have a more general question, but I just don't get it. I want to connect via ODBC to a database, that lies on an external server. I have full permission to attach the data. But what is the adjustment in the Windows-Client ODBC driver, to connect to the server? Maybe someone has had the same problem and can give me some advice.

Thank you in forward,

Tom

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

check for the ODBC Drivers installed properly or not

View solution in original post

10 Replies
shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

can you elaborate more?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I got a database that lies on our server "I:". Qlik Sense is installed local on "C:". I want to crate a connection between the database, that has a ODBC-driver, and Qlik. My idea is to create via C:\Windows\SysWOW64 -> odbcad32.exe a "Datei-DSN" (german PC, it's the point right of "system-DSN") that refers to the database on the server, but this is the point where my knowledge doesn't go far enough. Is this the right way and if it is, what is the path to go?

Greetings,

Tom

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

yes.

You will have to create a System DSN First in ODBC Connector

after that you can see that connection in Qlik Sense ODBC Connection List to choose.

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

After Creating DSN,

Go to Qliksense, Create New App/open existing app. Go to Load Editor. In Right Side, choose Create New Connection. Choose ODBC and then provide Required inputs. Test Connection. If Successful give name to Connection and Save

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply,

I did the steps you mentioned, but I think there's an issue with the database I want to access. It's not a SQL source (our ERP-system will be converted to SQL soon, so maybe than it will work), so I can't define the path where to access the database for my ODBC-request. So what I did was the following:

- Creating a System DSN on the server as Administrator

- Trying to access the database (just by excel, as it is the easiest way) on my local client

The problem is, that I have no option to choose the path of the database, so I just get a connection to my locally installed DEMO-version of my ERP. If I delete all my locally installed ODBC-connections there's no option to choose the server one.

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

You will have to request access to that database from Database Admin.

Then only you will be able to connect to database.

Check whether you can ping to database ip address

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I can ping the database without any disruption, also I can fully access the server, where the database lies. I think the reason may lie in the specified Driver, the database needs to be accessed and that this driver can't access the databse from the client partition.

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

check for the ODBC Drivers installed properly or not

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I found parts of the mistake. The tabase-driver was installed on the server, but not on the remote access. So the driver couldn't be accesed. Thank you very much for your help.