cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QLIK fails to restart after backup

Hi all,

We upgraded to QLIK September 2017 about 2 months ago. Ever since we are seeing periodic failures to restart the qlik services after the nightly back up. We use the repository manager to conduct our nightly backups, and previously we had never had any issues. In our Prod environment, which is still on QLIK 3.2, has no issues with this.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I am at an impasse and have run out of ideas of what to check.

Not sure what QLIK september does differently when backing up that might cause this.

The only error I see is this <below>.  But the time stamp of this coincides with the start of the back up. (back ups are scheduled to start at 11:30 nightly)

Error 11/14/2017 11:30:29 PM Application Error 1000 (100):

Faulting application name: Engine.exe, version: 12.34.11.0, time stamp: 0x59b7a425

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18202, time stamp: 0x569e7d02

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000003dd8e

Faulting process id: 0xecc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d35d65d73420d3

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Engine\Engine.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: da71ab71-c9d6-11e7-80ea-005056a95c58

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Well, I think I figured out the answer to my own question.  When we went from 3.2 to September Release, the upgrade mandated that we go from synchronized to shared persistence. Previously we were using the QLIK util, RepositoryManager.exe, to conduct the back ups. This util is not supported with shared persistence, which means that it is no longer supported in the new versions of QLIK. Apparently QLIK will be providing a new util, but that is still forthcoming. I am now trying to figure out how to automate the back up of QLIK using Powershell and the postgres util pg_Dump...but admittedly that is not looking good.

lucpechali
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Christopher,

I made a powershell script to execute my nightly backup.

Here's what you have to do :

As we goint to use pgpass function of postgres sql, you have to add a system variable named PGPASSFILE and value D:\PGPASSFILE\pgpass.conf in my  example

Make a text file named pgpass.conf and write the line below : Replace the xxx by your superuser password

localhost:4432:QSR:postgres:xxx

then create a new ps1 file and write this :

$Today =     Get-Date -UFormat "%Y%m%d_%H%M"

$StartTime = Get-Date -UFormat "%Y%m%d_%H%M"

$PostGreSQLLocation = "C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin"

$PostGresBackupTarget = "D:\Backup"

#md $PostGresBackupTarget\$StartTime

#$PGPASSFILE = "D:\PGPASSFILE\pgpass.conf"

write-host "Backing up PostgreSQL Repository Database ...."

cd $PostGreSQLLocation

.\pg_dump.exe -h localhost -p 4432 -U postgres -b -F t -f "$PostGresBackupTarget\QSR_backup_$Today.tar" QSR

write-host "PostgreSQL backup Completed"

$EndTime = Get-Date -UFormat "%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"

write-host "This backup process started at " $StartTime " and ended at " $EndTime

Then, test your script and it should works.

You just have to plan it in task scheduler in windows server.

hope it helps !