3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2017 5:09 AM by Leigh Peiser RSS

On-premise data source to Qlik Cloud Business?

Kalvin Chan

Can Qlik Cloud Business allow data connection to my database in local servers? e.g., an MS SQL database in my company's data center.

• Re: On-premise data source to Qlik Cloud Business?
          Leigh Peiser

Hi Kalvin

Please see the following information from Qlik Sense Cloud Help:

Connecting to data sources ‒ Qlik Sense Cloud

Database for Qlik Sense ‒ Qlik Connectors

I haven't tested an ODBC/MS SQL connection on my side, as we pull data from multiple data sources and file formats (including 3rd party data), so don't have all the data sitting in one database.

We are however connecting to on-premise datasets from Qlik Cloud Business using FTP Web File connections and have successfully managed to automate the data that currently refreshes daily.

See below an outline of the approach that we've used that seems to be working well so far, incl. some limitations to look out for and workarounds:

Re: Qlik Sense Cloud - FTP Security

I hope this helps?

Regards

Leigh

Kalvin Chan

Thanks, so according to your previous approach, the prerequisite is we must have at least one local server with FTP port open to public, so Qlik Cloud for file retrieval, right?

Leigh Peiser

Hi Kalvin

In our case FTP access to the local server was locked down to whitelisted IP addresses only, but FTP access to the/a local server would have to be enabled, yes.

Depending on your network security this shouldn't be too difficult and this is about as secure as we could get it:

• Whitelisting Qlik Sense Cloud IP Addresses
                  • Passing FTP access credentials through the Qlik Sense Cloud Web File Connections

The Qlik Sense Cloud offering is still quite new, however Qlik are adding features and functionality all the time, so the security side should be expanded at some point to support more advanced security options.

As per the Qlik Sense Help documentation above, you will need to whitelist the IP addresses for access through your firewall for ODBC connections as well - if you chose to go this route and it works - as I mentioned before we haven't tested this on our side as it wouldn't have worked for our requirements.

I hope this helps?

Regards

Leigh