Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

nprinting 17.3.1 + how to distribute same report to multiple users

i have a hierarchy of workers. L3 reports to L2 and L2 reports to L1. something like this.

When I create the excel import file, is there a way that I can specify so that I can distribute L3 's report (with some relevant filter to L3) to L2 and L1, as well ?

Idea is, the supervisor should be able to have access to the reports of their subordinates. I tried to seperate the three emails by a semicolon and it doesn't work. I don't want to create seperate rows for each of those folks, as its going to be the same filter(L3 relevant filter) in this case. Is there a way ?

Capture.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

In the user import file you must create a row for each user. If more users have the same data just copy and paste them in Excel.

A list of users with a separator doesn't work right now and it is a non sense. The reason is that you must specify a different password for each user and they should be different. You cannot create many users with the same password otherwise the guy in L3 will know the password of his boss.

About access to the data you have to work with filters and you can create them in the Filters worksheet of the same tab.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

rpclech_miszkiewiczogster1974‌ any thoughts here guys ?

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

In the user import file you must create a row for each user. If more users have the same data just copy and paste them in Excel.

A list of users with a separator doesn't work right now and it is a non sense. The reason is that you must specify a different password for each user and they should be different. You cannot create many users with the same password otherwise the guy in L3 will know the password of his boss.

About access to the data you have to work with filters and you can create them in the Filters worksheet of the same tab.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Understood.

Could you explain a little about the Password field ? I've been putting some dummy password during my testing but never really had to use it anywhere !? Where exactly do we enter this password ?

Ex: I distributed a report in my newsstand and hub and I was able to login into the newsstand using my windows credentials without any issues. I specified as an User in fact. Not an administrator or newstand user either in the nprinting console.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Give a check at http://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2017/Content/Recipients&Users/ImportUsersFiltersGroups/...

It is the password a user must use to connect to Qlik NPrinting NewsStand, if it is a normal user (not admin or dev) and he have the NewsStand role.

Also if you distribute the reports only via email, so users should not connect, you should use real password for security reasons.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I have 700+ users to whom I'll be sending out the corressponding nprinting reports. So that when they login to their respective newsstands, they'd see their corresponding nprinting report.

Does this mean that I need to create 700 passwords for these 700 folks ? rather than asking them to login with their windows credentials ? this creation of manual passwords doesn't make sense for such a vast number of users right ?

Coz, as I said earlier, I didn't add myself as a newstand user/admin or developer. I just added myself as a user via import task and I used my windows credentials as opposed to the dummy password i specified against my name in the import file - and i was able to login successfully into the newsstand and view my reports. This is not in sync with what you propose.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Yes, users can login into NewsStand and see their reports http://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2017/Content/DistributionSchedulesAutomation/NewsStandO...

You can associate the domain account to each user http://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2017/Content/Recipients&Users/Create-users-filters-grou...

Domain account: Enter the domain and user name if you want to associate the user with a domain account.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

How many L3s to you have?

Could you setup the publish tasks for each reporting line and then set a group for the suborinates?

Then in the email you CC the manager on the subordinates mail. Or push them to a dedicated public folder or sharpoint enabled folder.

For me id probably look to present a different kind of report to the managers rather than over load them with individual emails.

Regards

Andy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I would say somewhere around 7-800 L3's. I agree with you on the overloading part but looks like I'll have to meet that atleast for now. Email is big no. I am looking at newstand as my only option as hub doesn't allow you to delete and always shows the latest version. Also, am using a folder to dump all these files but there is a need to send out the subordinate reports to their immediate managers as giving access to these folder dumps to managers means, technically allowing them access to all reports right ?

If there is division manager(L1)>region manager(L2)>area manager(L3)- my idea was to create seperate report templates and tasks for each of them and distirbute them their corresponding reports to their newsstand. This part should work fine.

It's only when planning to distribute the L3 reports to their immediate L2 and L2 reports to their immediate L1-am lost !

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Good luck with that Sagar.  Yes the Hub has those limitations currently.

Technically if you lined up the folders along the reporting lines and published tasks as I suggested you could have the manager access his own suborniates folders and not others.

Id certainly try to create and more bespoke view for the managers that meets their needs rather than have them sift through subordinate reports as a more permenent solution.

Also another thought If you are using the latest version of Nprinting I believe cycling is available so perhaps you can run the tasks and cut the reports on the subordinates if their hierarchy is identified as filterable fields in your data model.

Regards

Andy