8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2018 10:10 PM by pradosh thakur RSS

Time Period Dimension for a Filter

Jeff Catterson

What is the best way to build a dynamic timeframe?  what I am looking to do is  build pre set time periods based on a month/year coming from the data set.  Ideally, I would like to build a 3 month/6 month 12 month time period.  Rather than a user see in a filter drop down:

JAN 17

FEB 17

MAR 17

APR 17

MAY 17

JUN 17

JUL 17

AUG 17

SEP 17

OCT 17

NOV 17

DEC 17

Where they could go and pick as many months at a time, I would rather them see:

Rolling 3 Months

Rolling 6 Months

Rolling 12 Months

where:

Rolling 3 Months = DEC, NOV, OCT

Rolling 6 Months = DEC, NOV, OCT, SEP, AUG, JUL

Rolling 12 Months = Complete Data Set

What I would like is to be able to have a number of KPIs/charts on a sheet that if the filter box was "binned" accordingly would then respond to this bin.  I would like to avoid having to add any sort of reference to time periods to each KPI.

• Re: Time Period Dimension for a Filter
          pradosh thakur

you can still use the normal rolling calculations with

1:an inline load where Rolling 3 Months,Rolling 6 Months, Rolling 12 Months are the field.

2: use if(getfieldselection(), .....) in expressions.

this way you can use whatever you want and you wont be hardcoding Rolling 3 Months,Rolling 6 Months, Rolling 12 Months,

• Re: Time Period Dimension for a Filter
            Kapil Gavri

Hi Pradosh,

I have a similar kind of situation where my Reporting date field has data something like :-

30 Nov, 17

31 Oct, 17

30 Sep, 17

31 Aug, 17

My requirement is to extract Current month, Previous month and previous quarter from this field

For example

If Reporting date = June 30 2017
            Current month-end = June 30 2017

Previous month-end = May 31 2017

Previous quarter-end = March 30 2017

Use cases:

• multiple options (current/previous month end or previous quarter-end) can be selected at the same time
            • the 3 options should dynamically update the reporting date drop down list with the selected dates

Following is the example image on ultimately how it could look like.Any suggestions please??

286333.PNG