Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpomeren003
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Best practice guide on Qlik Sense server deployment?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is a best practice guide on server deployment? Something that explains all my options and will let me learn all the best practices? Or something that explains the process step by step? I tried googling, but I mostly find relatively old information or information that is a bit too complex for me (or at least too complex to make an informed decision). I am interested in all up-to-date information regarding security/deployment/authentication/licensing (preferably with examples and comparisons in both technical and non-technical language).

The problem is, I don't have any previous experience deploying a Qlik Sense server or a Qlikview server (or any server for that matter, besides a locally hosted website/game server) and I also don't have a technical background. I do want to learn though and am willing to spend a substantial time on understanding this. I just need a push in the right direction (I think).

Before I try to explain what I have already done and where I am currently stuck, i'll first explain what I want to achieve. What I want to achieve is:
- A website that is accessible on the internet by customers. It will probably have this format: customername.mycompanyname.com
- This website brings every customer to his own dashboard(s). So depending on your log in information you will have access to different dashboards (it redirects you to the correct page based on your log in). To be clear, every customer has his own unique dashboard and data. We don't want to use the same dashboard for different customers and just restrict data-access inside the dashboard. We want to restrict the dashboards ánd the data for each individual customer/log in.
- Only the people that we give access are able to access their own dashboards. Everyone else should never be able to get past the first log in page. We need to have at least 2FA for every user and security in general should be top-notch.
- The dashboards the customers can see on the website are mashups made in Qlik Sense Dev Hub and are a combination of html/js/css and Qlik Sense Objects.

- The customers can view the dashboards without having to install Qlik Sense themselves and don't have to own a Qlik Sense license (because we will have the correct licence(s)).
- These mashups can be viewed by as much people as we give access. So it could be 10 users at the same time or it could be 100 or even 1000 users at the same time.

So for example if John from the company Shoes becomes a customer he will only have to do this:
- log in to shoes.companyname.com with the username that has been provided for him (by my company/me)
- once he manages to successfully log in he gets to see a landing page with the three Shoes dashboards that are available to the company Shoes and it's employees. He can use these dashboards however he wants.

- John doesn't get to see any other dashboards other than the ones that are meant for him and his company

Another example, if Dave from the company PerfectDress becomes a customer he will only have to do this:
- log in to perfectdress.companyname.com with the username that has been provided for him (by my company/me)
- once he manages to successfully log in he immediately gets redirected to a PerfectDress dashboard. He doesn't get to see a landing page since his company PerfectDress didn't want one and only wanted the stand alone dashboard. He can use this dashboard however he wants.
- Dave doesn't get to see any other dashboards other than the one meant for him and his company.

As you can see, both customers would go to a slightly different website, but the process should be generally the same(log in -> dashboards). You can also see that the customers only has to log in and immediately gets to use his dashboard(s). He has to do nothing else.

So that's the idea, simple enough right ? Luckily enough I have already figured out how mashups works and they are ready to go. The only thing I probably need to change with the mashups are the objectID's from the local IobjectD's to the server objectID's, since you go from localhost to a server (and of course move all the necessary files to the server itself) .

What I can't figure out, is what kind of license / server is the best to use in this case? Based on what I have read I would say a normal Qlik Sense Server. With a Qlik Server we could basically do everything we want, from security to hosting the mashups, to redirecting people to the correct page if I am not mistaken.The only thing is, I am not 100% sure about this. So I would love to hear what you guys think. I would also love some advice on how to do this the best based on what you guys have learned throughout the years.

I am also not 100% sure on the license, but I know there are licenses available that allow a certain amount of users to log-in and can be scalable in the amount. Does the Qlik Sense server automatically come with a license model or do I have options?

Would love to hear what you guys think!

Thanks in advance,

Casper

1 Reply
neo_lee
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

are you a developer? the information that you are looking for is quite specific and it depends on the architecture of your website.

1. Do you plan to use Qlik Sense as a microservice only, which means you will provide your own authentication and web server for the mashup or the other way round which Qlik Sense will be the web server and authentication? (qs.com/hub)

2. In term of licensing, if you are going for pure mashup, OEM is the best model now.