Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II

Scheduled Documents not Reloading

Hi,

I have a range of documents with reload tasks set for various times at various intervals - some once a day and I have at least one which is every 2 minutes. As at 16:48 today the "Last Execution" showing in QMC is 10:47. All four of my services have a status "Running":

image2.png

When I select QVS@pid-sql-cl01 on the QVS Statics tab I get a "Processing... Please wait." message and nothing else.

image1.png

I presume I need to ask our IT dept to restart one of the Windows Services, can you let me know which one(s)?

I have QlikView 11.2 SR6 and I do not have Publisher.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

• QlikView Directory Service Connector
  • QlikView Distribution Service
  • QlikView Management Service
  • QlikView Server
  • QlikView Web Server

But before restarting the QlikView services, ask your IT dept to perform a quick in-site upgrade to either SR15 (if you don't like extended quarantaine periods) or SR17 (if you don't really care). For example, between SR6 and SR15 there were more than 720 bug fixes...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

• QlikView Directory Service Connector
  • QlikView Distribution Service
  • QlikView Management Service
  • QlikView Server
  • QlikView Web Server

But before restarting the QlikView services, ask your IT dept to perform a quick in-site upgrade to either SR15 (if you don't like extended quarantaine periods) or SR17 (if you don't really care). For example, between SR6 and SR15 there were more than 720 bug fixes...

lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Peter,

So, in other words, they need to restart all of them? Last time we had this problem I asked IT to restart everything but I wondered if this was overkill, hence my post here.

At first, when they restarted everything it didn't work, they then tried restarting from the bottom up (whatever that means, I'm guessing they appear in a certain order on his screen) and that did work. Is there a specific order they should be restarted in?

Is the Distribution Service a part of Publisher as we don't have that or is it something that's not visible in QMC?

With regards to SR6, we're planning to get a new system and move from 32gb RAM to 256gb,  we'll upgrade away from SR6 at that time.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Wow, many questions. It started simple...

• Better restart all of them. Who's gonna tell what exactly is causing the problem? There's not enough information in your post to figure that out.
  • There is no forced order in the startup sequence. QlikView Server may take a while to finish if you got a lot of large documents set to pre-load. And the DSC may experience its own problems, but usually only after a full machine reboot.
  • The Distribution Service is always present (or you won't be able to perform even a single reload). However, without a Publisher license, it will only show up as "ReloadEngine" or something. And in the QMC, a lot of the configuration options will be gone. But it's still there, don't worry.
  • There is no real need to wait for a new server, as a ServiceRelease-upgrade is pretty much fail-safe and brings mostly bug fixes. You can check the release notes for that. But if you prefer taking the safe road, then please do.

BTW does your QlikView environment experience reload lockups often?

Best,

Peter

lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Sorry Peter, I thought it was a simple question at first too.

Thank you very much for your thorough answers though, it's much appreciated.

Yes, you're right, there is a task called ReloadEngine.

I wouldn't say we experience lockups often and I think that this one was caused by a colleague writing a bad script. I noticed a new document listed this morning and the history said that 4 out of the 5 reloads had taken 2 seconds and the 5th one had taken 6 hours and then failed. It was around that time that we then had the issue. After the first 4 he said his dataset wasn't complete and made a change. So, I'm blaming him.

My main question though was restarting those services, I have no idea what's involved or how long they take and didn't want to tie IT up with restarting services un-necessarily if the do take a while. So, thank you very much for answering that.