14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2011 10:27 PM by BlackRockS RSS

Big challenge for QlikView experts.

Waqas Saeed

Hello Experts,

I've developed an application that for 10 users. The application access qvd files when we hit reload button. We dont have QlikVIew server so we have installed 10 QlikIVew desktop locally at the users computers.

Now what we want is to put QVD files on the virtual server so that we dont have to copy those qvd files locally at the users computer. This works fine without putting username and password to the virtual machine. But as soon as we protect the virtual machine with a username and password as the data qvd files are containing is very sensitive, the application wont load!

I've attached a picture showing what we are trying to achieve.

Can any one please help me how to access the QVD file from the virtual server when the virtual server is password protected?

Many thanks

helppp.bmp

• Big challenge for QlikView experts.

Hi,
          The solution could be just to give the users Read Only right to the folder where the .qvd are stored...

/@Ungvall

Waqas Saeed

Hi Torbjörn,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid that wouldn't solve the problem. We need to secure the server with a user ID and Password so that no body would have access to the server. but at the same time we need to reload our application using the qvds that are residing in a password protected server!

Any other idea?

Regards,

Waqas

Ok,
                  I guess it would be possible to make a.cmd file that connects to the .qvd folder and than another .cmd file that disconnects after reload...

/@Ungvall

Chris Cammers

Why not schedule a windows task to reload a single qlikview from the command line then have the users pick up the qvw from there but...

If the QVW is stored locally on the users' machine how do you ensure the security of those workstations. If they are laptops I think you'd be in a bigger bind if security is that important. In the QVW the data is translated and structured for use while a QVD would require some knowledge to use, so it is unlikely that you will have somebody looking at a QVD simply out of curiosity

Bottom line, if security is so important your should just buy the server, SBE is very affordable and probably would cost you less in the long run, savings in Risk and Effort would be very valulabe.

Waqas Saeed

Hi chriscammers,

All the users have laptops and they are encrypted! so the user's systems are secured.

I agree what you are saying but they dont want to buy SBE. Not sure why. I wish with QlikView we could make password protected QVD files.

Like when we have to connect to a database we have to provide userID and Pass, I wish there was a way to do the same with QVD files!

Cant we do something with Macros or some sort of scripting here?

• Re: Big challenge for QlikView experts.

Hi,

I really didnt understand the criticality involved.

For the VM Server you can have what ever the user id and pwd you want, but other users to access any files you should give them sharing based on user nt id.

Once you have given access to the users based on their nt id no other user is able to access the QVD's unless they are given access.

Once listed userts have given access to the QVD folder they can simply reload the applications residing on their PC by pointing to QVd on the virtual server using the path notation \\servername\foldername\abc.qvd.

Please see the simplifed file pointing snapshot as attached.

Please let me know where did u stuck, what is the error.

Cheers.

Hi,

Why not running a script on your server that will copy (for example every night) the qvds from the server to the user's computer.

I know, almost the same thing that as already been said.

Kevin

Leonard Short

I would suggest setting up an odbc connection on each laptop and then connect to it in your load scripts. It will pass an encrypted username/password along that the users won't be prompted for when they hit reload (it is stored in the load script as an encrypted string so it is not easily identified).

Then rather than pre-generate the qvd files for the users, connect them to the database and pull the data directly to their laptops. This can further restrict their access to the data based on their security levels in the database.

Downside is it will increase each individual users load times. As mentioned previously, SBE is well worth the investment if you can talk the powers that be into it.

Hi again,
                          I'm no developer but I think you also can try, instead of loading from every laptop, to create two .cmd files:

cmd1
                          NET USE Q: \\IP to server\Folder for .qvd PWD /user:DOMAIN\User

cmd2
                          NET USE Q: /DELETE

Change each user document script...

Execute cmd1.cmd

Ordinary reload script - make sure to change the path to .qvd files to use e.g. Q:

Execute cmd2.cmd

/@Ungvall

Sander Gardenier

Have you thought about the use of the Binary load functionality? Don't store the data into QVD's but load your original QVW with Section Access. You can place this QVW anywhere on your network (even without NT security) because you can only read this QVW with QlikView and without a valid user/password combination you cannot read the data inside the QVW.

The end users load there personal reports with a binary load so even the script (the business logica) isn't visible for the end users. Simple and safe. Only those end users with a valid login can use the data!

If you secure your QVD's with NT security and the end user stores the data in an unsecured QVW than your security is broken. Everyone with a QlikView license can read those QVW's!

s j

In this case you have to secure QVD stored on Virtual Server.

You can use NT Security or you can take help of external tools.

Rahul Gupta

Hey Hi,

As per my knowledge, Use the Virtual Server as a QlikView Server means:

1. Make all the Application and Qvd available on it.

2. All the Data reloading Activities on it.

3. Give the users a remote access only to the final Application Folder so that they will either access from there or     copy the application to their end.

Regards