cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlines_usacs
Creator II
Creator II

Implement Centralized Logging in QS

We just upgraded to the version of April 2018. With this upgrade, the installer asked if we wanted to configure Centralized Logging. I read through the help information about this but am still not very clear on exactly what is it, how it works, or how to implement it.

1. What is the impact to my current logging if i switch from file logging to centralized logging at this point?

2. What happens to all my history of logs?

3. How does the archiving of log files work?

4. Does this use the same PostgreSQL database that is currently being used?

5. Can it use a separate PostgreSQL database?

Thanks for any help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hannah,

1. What is the impact to my current logging if i switch from file logging to centralized logging at this point?

> No impact on your current logging, centralized logging makes it easier for you to find the log that you are looking for. When centralized logging (the Qlik Logging Service) is on, file logging is also on, by default. Log entries from the Qlik Senseservices (repository, proxy, scheduler, and engine) are persisted in two locations – the existing log files and the centralized logging database. The legacy log files do not have any built-in file management to clear up hard disk space. Centralize logging configure is for Monitoring Apps where you will be able to analyize all the server nodes performance by operational monitoring app.

> Nothing will change

> Yes

> Yes

> No

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Sumit K

View solution in original post

4 Replies
hlines_usacs
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks. Yes, I did read through that, but it still doesn't answer the questions I have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hannah,

> No impact on your current logging, centralized logging makes it easier for you to find the log that you are looking for. When centralized logging (the Qlik Logging Service) is on, file logging is also on, by default. Log entries from the Qlik Senseservices (repository, proxy, scheduler, and engine) are persisted in two locations – the existing log files and the centralized logging database. The legacy log files do not have any built-in file management to clear up hard disk space. Centralize logging configure is for Monitoring Apps where you will be able to analyize all the server nodes performance by operational monitoring app.

> Nothing will change

> Yes

> Yes

> No

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Sumit K

jvu
Employee
Employee

5) Centralized Logging, the Qlik Logging Service, can be configured to use any PostgreSQL server available, see this help page, the only requirement is that it runs version 9.6 or later. Version 9.6 is the only supported version, so if you try running against a different version, say 10 or 11, then you'll be in uncharted territory.