4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2011 6:04 PM by Leonard Short RSS

sum(last year's sales)

Hi, I'm kind of new to qlikview and please forgive me for cross-posting - This is a better spot for this:

I have Sales data by month/year.  To create an annualized sum(sales) for the current year (regardless of user's selections) I created this expression:    

=12*(Sum({1<Year = {"=Year(Today())"}>} Sales) / (Month(Today())))

That works fine.

But now I want to get last year's total sales (again, regardless of current selections).  So, I figure this oughta work:

=Sum({1<Year = {"=(Year(Today())-1)"}>} Sales)

But that yields the Current YTD total.

Thanks for any hints.  -E.

• sum(last year's sales)

And now, after fiddling around and eventually returning to this expression

=Sum({1<Year = {"=(Year(Today())-1)"}>} Sales)

is yielding 0.

I'm getting a different answer with the exact same code.  Oh well.  I don't know.

I guess the question is changed then,  How do I retrieve sum(last year's sales)?

• sum(last year's sales)
              Leonard Short

I use =sum({<Year={$(=max(Year)-1)}>} Sales) to get the prior year's sales.

• Re: sum(last year's sales)

thanks.  that does work.  not eactly what I was looking for though.  I'd like to find what last year's total was regardless of current selections. Today, Last Year would be 2010.

But now, this isn't working anymore:

=12*(Sum({1<Year = {"=Year(Today())"}>} Sales) / (Month(Today))

I didn't do anything to it. it just stopped working correctly.  It is giving me a total based on the current Year selected. 

I guess I'll switch to a straight table and hide the column if the Selected Year != the current year.

thanks again.