Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
insideventures1
Contributor II
Contributor II

Why are there so many login problems due to cookies and cache?

Why do we have so many issues with users trying to login due to cookies and cache?  Our users constantly have to clear their browser cookies and cache in order for the Qlik login authentication to work.  It causes a massive amount of wasted time troubleshooting as most users don’t know why their login isn’t working. Is there a setting within Qlik, our Qlik server, or our Active Directory server that would prevent this from happening?  Please help, thanks!!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

I don't think that it is mainly related to Qlik else to your used browser, security tools and/or the OS. Since a few months it happens by some of my users (usually only once and only one or two did have it a few times).

Before and until now there weren't any changes on the Qlik environment. Further users which experienced this behaviour could login with another credentials (we use DMS instead of NT and therefore we could easily test such things without troubling with the windows login). Only their own login was affected. From this I deduce that the login cookie/cache is corrupt in any way or it will be blocked by the browser itself or a security measure or something similar.

At the moment I don't know the real reason and have also no direct hints how to resolve it (as far as I have it this frequency I will not invest time to try to find the cause) but I hope it gives you some ideas how you could find it.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

I don't think that it is mainly related to Qlik else to your used browser, security tools and/or the OS. Since a few months it happens by some of my users (usually only once and only one or two did have it a few times).

Before and until now there weren't any changes on the Qlik environment. Further users which experienced this behaviour could login with another credentials (we use DMS instead of NT and therefore we could easily test such things without troubling with the windows login). Only their own login was affected. From this I deduce that the login cookie/cache is corrupt in any way or it will be blocked by the browser itself or a security measure or something similar.

At the moment I don't know the real reason and have also no direct hints how to resolve it (as far as I have it this frequency I will not invest time to try to find the cause) but I hope it gives you some ideas how you could find it.

- Marcus

insideventures1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I think Qlik just has some timeout settings - but I'm not sure where to look on our Qlik application server / Windows settings to help solve the problem.

The other observation is that users can't actually logout of Qlik.  The application is still using active cookies or cache - when you click logout in Qlik, you can get right back into that user's session without having to provide credentials again, effectively making the application not secure.  It also makes it impossible to logout of one user, and login with a different user ID.

marcus_sommer

I'm not sure if it's really the same user-session (it might be checked by the session-logs and the easiest way to do it is probably the governance dashboard) and even when - is it really wrong?

Does it also happen (login without credentials) if the browser was closed after the logout? Your used authentication method is NT or DMS?

- Marcus

BarbaraSimiyu
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever figure this out? Experiencing the exact same thing.