1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 21, 2011 5:38 AM by John Lumley RSS

Transparency in scatter chart

John Lumley

Hi, I've got a scatter chart showing five years worth of data for lots of companies. Each company is a different colour. At the moment it joins the dots with a line (which is useful to see) to show the movement over the 5 years. Can anyone suggest a way I can set the transparency of all the 2006 data points to be higher than 2007, 2007 higher than 2008 and so on. Basically I want to fade out the older result whilst still showing them on the chart.

If the points were all the same colour I could easily set it with an IF, evaluating the YEAR object. The problem is they're not the same colour.

thanks

John

• Re: Transparency in scatter chart
          John Lumley

Well I've managed to answer my own question. I set up a seperate spreadsheet with the rgb colour values for each company. Loaded that in and set the background colour expression to be

=if([Year]='2006',argb(50,r,g,b),if([Year]='2007',argb(75,r,g,b),if([Year]='2008',argb(125,r,g,b),if([Year]='2009',argb(175,r,g,b),if([Year]='2010',argb(255,r,g,b)))))

My chart now looks like this, the later years are more obvious but you can still see the earlier years.

FadingOut.png

Hope this helps someone else

John