If i have 2 tables.

USER_MASTER_DATA:

- USERID

- USERNAME

- COUNTRY

SESSIONS_TABLE:

- USERID

- SESSIONTIME

If i do a normal LOAD, i can easily make a table to see which user's session time. BUT only to those who had sessios.

How can i know for those who never had? i tried outer join, but it didn't really work and the table is messy because we have everything.

thanks.

13 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

If I've understood your question correctly, you probably need to join the session times in two steps - first a normal join, and second, a self-join in the results table to replace nulls with zeroes. Something like this:

USER_SESSIONS:

LOAD

USERID,

USERNAME,

COUNTRY,

From ...

;

Left Join (USER_SESSIONS)

LOAD

USERID,

SESSIONTIME AS tmpSessionTime

From ...

;

Join (USER_SESSIONS)

LOAD

USERID,

If(IsNull(tmpSessionTime), 0, tmpSessionTime) AS SESSIONTIME

Resident USER_SESSIONS;

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

close, but the problem is, in session table, userid might not exist because Sessions table is a log, whoever connect, will have a row recorded.

So, the problem is, how do we know which users didn't connect?

USER_MASTER_DATA:

- USERID

- USERNAME

- QVW_Name

SESSIONS_TABLE:

- USERID

- SESSIONTIME

Thanks.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

NickSatch    

That's what the second join is for. All the users who did not connect and are without a sessions record in the log will have a null session time in the result table. The second join replaces these nulls with a zero. So zero session time means the user did not connect.

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

Says, if i wanted to filter by month, it wont work.

When i select Jul, from session table, the user who doesn't exist in session table will not show up.

Unless, there's a way to insert, Jul > user A > 0 (accordin to the IF statement) ?

Thanks,

nICK

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Nick

Depends what you mean by filter. If you are displaying in a table or chart, (say dimensioned by user, and filtered by a date selection) be sure to turn off suppressing zeroes, as this will hide the users that did not connect in the filtered periods (session time = 0).

Regards

Jonathan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

I made a sample QVW, it's easier to understand i think...

Thanks for your help.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

See if the attached sample can help you.

Cheers.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks BlackRocks,

That method will work when you already have the data in the data in the table, then u can use that to suppress.

For my case, we need to first create the data, by userID by month....etc. i think. and i'm still working on it.

Not applicable
Author

Sorry i didnt get you..