10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 6:40 AM by Daniel Garguilo RSS

Data Architecture

HI All

I am having a little trouble trying to work out the best architecture for a document.

I am looking at Reporter Productivity. I have:

• a main table that has a field 'first reporter' and another 'second reporter'. Productivity takes into account both these fields
      • another table with the Reporter Details in it including the expected amount that should have been reported

Basically what i would like to do is have a table that has: The reporter name and then a count of how many times they appear in the first reporter column and another count of how many times that appear in the second reporter column, A total and also the expected.

Please see the attached example. Note i have not joined the tables yet as i am unsure on the best place to do this in this situation.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Dan

• Data Architecture
          Or Shoham

What I would do in this instance is load the "fact" table twice. In pseudocode:

Load ActivityID, FirstReporter as Reporter, "First Reporter" as ReporterType

From ReportsCompleted;

JOIN

Load ActivityID, SecondReport as Reporter, "Second Reporter" as ReporterType

From ReportsCompleted;

Load *

From ReporterDetails;

• Data Architecture

Thanks for the reply. This will work but is there any other options? I am loading about 1million records and growing each month so i would prefer not to load it twice if i can avoid it.

Thanks

Dan

• Re: Data Architecture

Thanks for the reply. This will work but is there any other options? I am loading about 1million records and growing each month so i would prefer not to load it twice if i can avoid it.

Thanks

Dan

• Data Architecture
                    Or Shoham

I suppose you could create a complex key based on both reporters, and set up a table that includes every possible permutation to join it with.. but I would not go that way.

Is there a reason not to load twice? 1m records is really not a lot - I have models with 10m+ that are loading on an hourly basis with some tables being read 3-5 times. If you're worried about I/O, you can just load the table from file once and then use resident loads - this should go very quickly, especially if your records are composed of just a small handful of columns each. Because of the way QV stores data, using a double-load should not significantly increase the storage space / RAM required, either.

TemporaryLoad:

Load * from ReportsCompleted;

Reports:

Load ActivityID, FirstReporter as Reporter, "First Reporter" as ReporterType

Resident TemporaryLoad;

JOIN

Load ActivityID, SecondReport as Reporter, "Second Reporter" as ReporterType

Resident TemporaryLoad;

drop table TemporaryLoad;

Reporters:

Load *

From ReporterDetails;

• Data Architecture

HI

Thnaks again for the reply and the explanation of why it is not a problem to load the table multiple times. I really appreaciate it.

One last question if you have time. I read somewhere that the Map Function and Join are the same. Is this correct? I thought the map function would map an extra field to a table. I guess join could be used to either join two tables toegether like CONCATANATE but also to add an extra field?

kind regards.

Dan

• Re: Data Architecture

HI

Thnaks again for the reply and the explanation of why it is not a problem to load the table multiple times. I really appreaciate it.

One last question if you have time. I read somewhere that the Map Function and Join are the same. Is this correct? I thought the map function would map an extra field to a table. I guess join could be used to either join two tables toegether like CONCATANATE but also to add an extra field?

kind regards.

Dan