Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I avoid loops in my design please?

I have an existing database I need to pull into Qlikview.  I have the following structure (simplified - detailed table viewer export attached):

Consumers

Consumer_ID

Policies

ConsumerID

PolicyWarpolrev (ID)

PolicyClaims

Claim_Number

PolicyWarpolrev (ID)

Non-PolicyClaims (GHSClaim)

Claim_Number

Consumer_ID

Claim Actions

Claim_Number

This structure creates a loop that Qlikview doesn't like - Claims are linked to Consumers both directly and via Policies.  I need to be able to report on counts of claim actions for policy and non-policy claims together, so I can't just create completely separarate Policyclaimnumber and Nonpolicyclaimnumber structures.  How can I get around this problem?  Thanks for any help you can give.

2 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

I would consolidate the consumer claims and policy linked claims into a single table. There would three fields in the table:

Consumer_ID, PolicyWarpolrev (ID) and Claim_Number.

For policy linked claims, all three fields would be populated, for direct consumer linked claims, the PolicyWarpolrev field would be null.

I don't know the structure of your input data sources, so I can only give the skeleton of a load script which you will have to adapt to your data. It would look something like:

DataTable:

LOAD consumer_id,

claim_number

... other fields ...

FROM direct claims data source;

Concatenate (DataTable)

LOAD consumer_id,

policy_warpolrev

... other fields ...

FROM policy data source;

Join (DataTable)

LOAD policy_warpolrev,

claim_number

... other fields ...

FROM policy claims data source;

Join (DataTable)

LOAD consumer_id,

... consumer data fields ...

FROM consumer masterdata source;

Load the rest of your data normally. The last join may not be necessary, but may improve performance if you have a large data set.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
sukydhak
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

You have two options

1 Concatenate all the data into one table

or

2. Link Tables.

Suky