Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Disable Userid/Password login

We recently set up QlikView Server for a client so they could view all their QVW's. These files have section access set up for USER access. The client originally opened the files with an application we developed using the QlikOCX that supplied the Userid/Password, so the client never had to enter the section access login. We would also like to avoid the section access login on QlikView Server (the clients use the QlikView AccessPoint).

From what I've read, we could add a user's name to the QVW. However, this is hard to manage. I'd rather not change the QVW everytime I add (or remove) a user.

Perhaps the NTDOMAINSID or NTSID could be added to the section access. Would this work? Even if it did, every file would need to be changed, which is not a great solution (the client has many files).

I found that I could add  "&userid={userid}&password={password}" to the end of the HTTP address of the file, and that would disable the Userid/Password login. However, how can I make the AccessPoint do this automatically?

Joe Lin

Terra Technology

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I found a solution for the AJAX client, although it seems rather a hack. (Note: I am not a JavaScript developer, so any advice on a more elegant solution is appreciated!)

The following file needs to change:

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Server\QlikViewClients\QlikViewAjax\opendoc.htm

Within opendoc.htm there is an Init() function. After the following line has created a page binding:

qva = new Qva.PageBinding();

I added the following lines, where [userid] and [password] are the appropriate values:

qva.Userid = "[userid]";

qva.Password = "[password]";

Now the section access login dialog no longer appears. Also, the userid and password do not appear in the HTTP address, so that's good for security. Of course, this is not a generic solution.

Most importantly, it doesn't work for the IE plugin.

Joe Lin

Terra Technology

Not applicable
Author

I have attempted various workarounds, none which work for our purposes.

Add a particular user (partial success)

I was able to add a particular user to section access with the NTNAME field. For example, this section access worked (no login was required):

Section Access;

Load * Inline [UserID, Password, Access, NTNAME

User, XYZ, User, *

Admin, ABC, Admin, *

*, *, User, MYDOMAIN\A.USER];

The primary drawback is that none of the existing files can receive this change. There are just too many to modify by hand.

Also, it’s an extremely awkward system of managing permissions when users have to be added or removed.

Note for all workarounds in which I changed the section access, I performed a reload of the file to ensure the loadscript was run.

“Everyone” NTDOMAINSID (failed)

Hoping to find something more generic than a particular user, I tried adding the “Everyone” NTDOMAINSID (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330 for a list of “well-known” SID’s), but this still required the login:

Section Access;

Load * Inline [UserID, Password, Access, NTDOMAINSID

User, XYZ, User, *

Admin, ABC, Admin, *

*, *, User, S-1-1-0];

Users group for NTNAME (failed)

Again, trying to find something generic, I tried using the “Users” Windows group (note the ‘s’ in the group name) for NTNAME. The QlikView Reference Manual suggests this is possible. On our server, all the users are a member of the Users group. But a login was still required.

Section Access;

Load * Inline [UserID, Password, Access, NTNAME

User, XYZ, User, *

Admin, ABC, Admin, *

*, *, User, MYDOMAIN\Users];

(I also omitted the domain, substituting “Users” instead of “MYDOMAIN\Users”, but still no success.)

License key for SERIAL (failed)

I tried both the QlikView Server license key and the QlikView Publisher license key, but again a login was required. For example:

Section Access;

Load * Inline [UserID, Password, Access, SERIAL

User, XYZ, User, *

Admin, ABC, Admin, *

*, *, User, 1234 5678 9012 3456];

I tried having spaces in the license key as well as without spaces.